Corinthian Under 18’s 3 Whitstable Town Under 18’s 3

Valley Express Kent Youth League Premier Division One

Sunday 14th April 2013

A great performance from our under 18’s saw them take a well-deserved point from their encounter away to Corinthian. The first half started very lively with the home team having a penalty shout turned down after the first 30 seconds.  From this, the Whitstable lads settled down and went about trying to get the ball down on a very boggy pitch. It was important that they battled within the midfield as the Corinthan side had most of the possession in the first half due to the sloped pitch and windy conditions. This they did well with Charlie Taylor having a great half breaking up several attacks from the home side, Town also defended well with strong performances from Elliot Bensted and Rade Piplica.  Even though the Corinthian side had several goal attempts, Whitstable stood firm and were able to keep it all square at half time.

The second half produced a memorable start with Town’s lads looking a different side, they really stepped up their game and laid down their intentions. The combination of Towns Keeper, Harry Barrow, covering great distance with his kicking enabling some great attacking play from Tom Bines, Charlie Taylor and Lewis King crafted the opening goal,  King flicking on for Sam Hudson, who unleashed an unstoppable volley into the bottom corner. The attacks kept coming, and Tom Bines soon hit number two, chipping a ball over the Corinthian’s Centre Half and finishing with a great strike over their Keeper.  This appeared to spring the Corinthian’s side into action and they had several chances before making it 2-1 with a well taken finish into the top corner.  Again, Whitstable attacked and this time it was Lewis Kings turn making it 3-1 with a superb lobbed finish.


Town new that the Corinthian’s side would not lay down and surrender and they were soon back in it with a tap in finish poorly defended by Whitstable.  Town nearly scored again, with a great free kick from 20 yards from Lewis King that cannoned off of the post but with 15 minutes to go the home sides’ pressure took advantage of Towns tired legs when they levelled the game when a header was not cleared by the Whitstable defence.  The last 10 minutes had Whitstable under pressure but the boys hung on for a well-earned point with a true performance of character.