Luke Doherty clears the ball away
Luke Doherty clears the ball away

Whitstable Town 2 East Grinstead Town 1

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 25th April 2015

Whitstable Town’s late late show managed to steal all three points against East Grinstead Town on Saturday afternoon.

The first half was a turgid end of season affair in which both sides struggled to create chances. The hosts had to wait until the seventh minute before Ian Pulman shot from the right straight into the arms of East Grinstead keeper Seb Bos. It was another four minutes before the visitors had their first try when Emiliano Hysi shot straight at Luke

Aaron James just out of shot equalises
Aaron James just out of shot equalises

Watkins in the Whitstable goal. The game then seemed to enter the doldrums as the next attempt came after 39 minutes when a shot from Tom Carlse was pushed round the post by Watkins. Two chances just before the interval saw firstly Whitstable’s Tom Loynes’ long range shot go over the bar and then Carlse shot straight at Watkins at the other end.

East Grinstead Town started the second half on the front foot and it was Richmond Kissi who forced a save from Watkins within five minutes of the restart.  Whitstable were now restricted to limited opportunities but perhaps should have done better on 51 minutes when Loynes broke free. His shot rebounded of Bos’s legs and Pulman couldn’t quite get his foot around the ball to threaten a

Ian Pulman's great lob gives Town three points
Ian Pulman’s great lob gives Town three points

goal. The visitors looked the more likely and on 63 minutes a long range shot from Lee Prescott was well gathered by Watkins.  East Grinstead got the goal they deserved on 66 minutes when the ball came to substitute Kareen Boyle who looped a curling shot into the top corner.  It wasn’t until the last quarter of an hour that the hosts seemed to come alive. Firstly Ollie Gray had a shot blocked and then after he had another attempt that cannoned onto the cross bar after 82 minutes. The ball eventually found its way to Aaron James who headed in from close range to bring the scores level. This sparked new life into Whitstable and they got the winner on 87 minutes when Pulman got a foot on the ball first before keeper Bos and lobbed into the net to give Whitstable the points.

The result condemned the visitors to the last relegation spot but it looks likely that they will be saved by the reprieves.  Whitstable finished the season in eighth spot which is their best finish since promotion from the Kent League.

Team: Watkins, Mackenzie, Wedgeworth, James, Doherty, Treadwell, Gray, Girt, Pulman, Rowland, Loynes.