Ian Pulman gets Whitstable's first
Ian Pulman gets Whitstable’s first

Faversham Town 1 Whitstable Town 3

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 24th January 2015

Whitstable returned from high flying Faversham Town on Saturday afternoon with three very valuable points in a deserved 3-1 win.

Faversham had the best of the early exchanges and had the first chance after only one minute when Wayne Wilson took a free kick from 25 yards. His attempt was heading for the corner of the net before Luke

Scott Heard gets second
Scott Heard gets second

Watkins pushed the ball wide. Their second effort came on 13 minutes when a Jamie Maxted cross found ex Whitstable midfielder Dean Grant who headed over. Whitstable had a strong appeal for a penalty when Ian Pulman was barged off the ball but it was turned down. Faversham continued to create the best chances as Josh Stanford shot from the left after 24 minutes but the ball looped over the cross bar. A minute before the break Whitstable had a free kick from the left. Peter Wedgeworth looped the kick high and it took Faversham keeper Rob French to tip the ball over the bar.  One more chance for the hosts in injury time as Charley Robertson shot through a crowd of players only for Watkins to save. Faversham had just about edged the half as both teams went in goal less.

Ian Pulman seals the three points
Ian Pulman seals the three points

Whitstable started the second half with renewed energy and were in front within a minute of the restart when a Wedgewoth cross pin pointed Pulman who slammed the ball home. Watkins had to be on his guard to save another Wilson free kick after 54 minutes and Faversham were level within 60 seconds as Maxted got onto a ball from Matt Bourne and fired home. On 57 minutes Faversham could have taken the lead but Maxted’s shot went straight at Watkins. With 19 minutes to go the hosts were reduced to ten men as Grant was sent off for a second bookable offence. Whitstable started to take advantage of the ten men and Nick Treadwell had a header cleared off the line by Wilson after 75 minutes. However the visitors were not to be denied as on 81 minutes the ball came out to Scott Heard who slammed the ball home to give Whitstable the lead. Two minutes later Whitstable sealed the win when Pulman got to ball quicker than French and slotted the ball home. With four minutes to go Whitstable’s substitute Ollie Lee saw read for a reckless challenge and in the melee that followed Faversham’s Dave Botterill also saw red. One more Wilson free kick was pushed wide by Watkins and Whitstable held on for a deserved  win.

With other results falling for Whitstable, they have moved up to sixth in touching distance of the play off’s. Who is to say that is not possible with the rich vein of form they are in at present.

Team: Watkins, Mackenzie (Gray 45mins), Wedgeworth, James, Doherty, Treadwell (Lee 76mins), Heard, Girt, Pulman, Rowland, Loynes (Coyne 61mins)