Dan Wells fires home opening goal
Joe Lester fires home opening goal

Whitstable 1 Herne Bay 1

Whitstable Town win 4-3 on pens

Bruce Smith Shield 

Saturday 13th July 2013

Whitstable Town retained the Bruce Smith Shield in a hard fought pre season  friendly at the Belmont on a scolding hot Saturday afternoon witnessed by 255 people. The game finished one a piece at the end of 90 minutes but was settled  4-3 on penalties.

The game had few chances in the first half. The first came after seven minutes when Adam Woollcott sent in a free kick from 25 yards but Jack Delo in the Bay goal pushed the ball wide. Woollcott was again in the action after 23 minutes when he sent in a pass to Mo Takaloo whose cross passed dangerously across the Bay goal mouth but there was one on hand to put the ball away.

Ashley Bourne saves Bay penalty
Ashley Bourne saves Bay penalty

Takaloo had another chance after 31 minutes but his attempted over kick went wide of the target. A minute later Takaloo again had a shot that looped over the bar. The Bay had their moments and the ever dangerous Jorden Casey broke free but was denied by a superb tackle from Laurence Harvey. A couple of chances on the stroke half time saw Casey shoot wide and Woollcott also did the same at the other end.   

The second half showed the same shape as the first. After 62 minutes Whitstable substitute Charlie Smith sent in a cross that put the Bay defence under pressure although ex Whitstable Town defender Steven Lloyd was able to head the ball away over the cross bar. A minute later, Charlie Smith put in another cross but

Challenge in Bay penalty area
Challenge in Bay penalty area

Gary Cook could not convert at the near post. Billy Cobb then had a chance for the Town four minutes later as he juggled the ball but sent his final shot just wide.  After 75 minutes Casey broke free down the left and when he cut in he had a shot well blocked by Town substitute keeper Ashley Bourne. The game was beginning to come alive as Dan Ellet sent a shot high over the bar. Michael Turner also had a chance at the other end but again went wide.

Whitstable were then able to take the lead as Joe Lester broke through after 81 minutes. He was able to plant the ball past Delo to find the back of the net. Town now had their tails

Town celebrate win
Town celebrate win

up and should of have increased the lead after 84 minutes however Bay on the break had an opportunity for Danny Lawrence who sent the ball past Bourne to equalise.

This sent the game to penalties for the fourth time in six matches and Town took the tie 4-3 on penalties bringing the tally to three games each over the last six years.