Whitstable Progress In FA Cup

Emirates FA Cup – Preliminary Round
Saturday August 25 2018 15.00

Whitstable made it safely through to the first qualifying round of the FA Cup with a 2-0 win in the shadow of Heathrow airport. In a poor, bad tempered match with few attempts on goal, an early strike by young defender Teddy Nelson, who finished well after a John Walker free kick fell to him at the back post, gave the visitors the perfect start. There was little else of note in the first half, although Hounslow felt they should have had a penalty when Stef Nor went down in the box as he was challenged by Stuart West. The home team came closest to equalising when Jack Watts hit the bar following a corner in the 72nd minute and a couple of subsequent attempts were well blocked. Whitstable added a late second when substitute Tom Walmsley converted a cross at the near post, but they were reduced to ten men near the end when Charlie Smith was sent off and Dan Eason then made a great save to deny Triantafilos Skapetis a consolation in stoppage time.

This was the first meeting between the two clubs. CB Hounslow United have only played at their new ground since last season, when their first match was a 2-1 FA Cup win over Rusthall. It has a nice clubhouse and the club are gradually extending their facilities. The CB in the name is a reference to Cater Bank, who were once a club sponsor. They started their FA Cup campaign this season with a 2-0 win at fellow Combined Counties Premier team, Sutton Common Rovers. Whitstable were without the unavailable Brett Ince and Tom Bryant failed a fitness test on his ankle prior to kick off.

A good afternoon for plane spotters

Other than a series of early free kicks, the first significant action saw Whitstable take the lead and it was from a free kick on the halfway line taken by Walker. Ricky Freeman jumped for the ball with Watts and the Hounslow captain only succeeded in glancing the ball into the path of Nelson and he struck a great left footed shot into the top corner from around 7 yards. Nor was booked for a poor tackle on Walker a few minutes later as the game continued in scrappy fashion. Josh Burchell and Freeman combined to give James Morrish a sight of goal, but he shot over the bar. On 28 minutes, the home team had their only goal attempt of the half when Harrison Livingstone worked an opening for himself just outside the penalty area, but dragged his effort wide. Freeman then picked up a yellow card for a challenge, as the niggly nature of the match continued. Whitstable put together their best move of the half that ended with a Chris Saunders shot saved by Rhys Forster.

Ricky Freeman challenges Jack Watts in the air
The ball reaches Teddy Nelson and he hits it towards goal
The ball flies into the top corner and Whitstable have an early lead

Nor took the ball into the Whitstable penalty area and went over as West came across to challenge, but the referee decided the Whitstable defender had won the ball, despite protests by the Hounslow players. Freeman collected a loose ball on the right and drove forward, but failed to hit the target. Whitstable sent the ball dangerously across the box a couple of times, first from a free kick and then a corner, but did not trouble the home goalkeeper and Hounslow themselves had a chance from a free kick, but Eason was able to claim the ball comfortably as it came into the area. The teams went into the break separated by just the early goal.

Nathan Hardwick and Morrish had early efforts off target in the second half, although Whitstable did put the ball in the net in the 53rd minute, but an offside flag had already been raised. Jordan Wright played a good one-two with Freeman and almost got in on goal, but Forster did well to intercept. Hounslow introduced Skapetis and he started to ask the Whitstable defence a few more questions. The next chance though fell to Freeman after Morrish had sent him through with a clever pass, but his shot was easily saved. West won the ball in midfield and tried an ambitious shot from way out that sailed over the bar. Hardwick was booked after conceding several free kicks and the referee then halted play to speak with a couple more players as things threatened to boil over.

A raised flag rules out this effort
Jordan Wright is denied by Rhys Forster

Hounslow had their best spell of the game midway through the second half and a foul by Morrish just outside the box led to a Skapetis free kick being deflected for a corner, which Eason got a hand to, but Whitstable failed to clear and Watts swivelled onto the loose ball, only to see his close range shot cannon back off the bar. Walker cleared a follow up attempt off the line and after two further efforts were charged down, Jordan Ireland curled a shot wide. Whitstable replaced their two hard working strikers with Walmsley and Smith and on 83 minutes doubled their advantage. A good spell of pressure eventually led to the ball being cleared out to Walker on the right and his cross was fired in at the near post by Walmsley for his first Whitstable goal. In fact both goal scorers on the day were aged just 17. Shortly afterwards Smith was pulled down by Tommy O’Neil and the referee deemed his reaction to be worthy of a red card, whilst O’Neil was shown a yellow card for the original offence. There was time for one more piece of action, when Skapetis tried to find the right corner with a curling shot, but Eason somehow managed to get a hand to the ball and turn it past the post. The final whistle blew after 5 added minutes and Whitstable had progressed to the first qualifying round for the first time in 3 years, collecting another £2,890 in prize money.

Jack Watts (on the ground) hits the bar for Hounslow
Tom Walmsley is first to John Walker’s cross
The ball hits the net and Whitstable lead 2-0

Whitstable return to Bostik League action at Ramsgate on Bank Holiday Monday, whilst awaiting the draw for the next round of the Emirates FA Cup.

CB Hounslow Whitstable
8 Attempts 10
2 On Target 4
2 Corners 2
1 Offside 3
18 Free Kicks Won 12

CB Hounslow United
Rhys Forster, Tommy O’Neil, Stef Nor, Jordan Ireland, Harry Driver, Gabriel Chiedozie, Matthew Riggs (Triantafilos Skapetis 53), Gavin Bamford, Harrison Livingstone (Kai Hamilton 65), Jack Watts (c), Jacob Lambe.
Subs (unused): Billy Roach, Thomas Kanek, George Douglas.
Yellow cards: Stef Nor 13, Tommy O’Neill 87.

Whitstable Town
Dan Eason, John Walker, Josh Burchell, Stuart West, Rob Gillman, Teddy Nelson, Jordan Wright, James Morrish (c) (Jai McKinlay 85), Ricky Freeman (Charlie Smith 77), Nathan Hardwick (Tom Walmsley 74), Chris Saunders.
Subs (unused): none
Goals: Teddy Nelson 5, Tom Walmsley 83.
Yellow cards: Ricky Freeman 31, Nathan Hardwick 63.
Red card: Charlie Smith 87

Attendance: 143
Referee: Andrew Thomson
Assistants: Ebenezer Adebanjo & Simon Wainwright