Whitstable Town 0 Ramsgate 1

Ryman League Division One (South)

12th January 2013

Nick Shaw saves well from Pulman

Whitstable Town were sunk by a goal from ex Town striker Ian Pulman on the stroke of half time to fail to take anything out of their home game against Ramsgate on Saturday afternoon.  With a number of players making their debut for the hosts, Town were also without the suspended James Morrish & Danny Williams.

The game started brightly but it was not until the 13th minute that the first opportunity came in the game as Jake MacKenzie found himself free in the penalty area but was unable to find the target. Five minutes later Ramsgate had their first chance when Pulman under pressure had a shot deflected into the side netting.  Town had their best chance after 21 minutes when Laurence Harvey rose above the Ramsgate defence to send a looping header over keeper Darren Hawkes but he managed to get his finger tips to the ball and make an excellent save to deny the hosts.  After 29 minutes a dangerous ball was put across the Town goal but the ball was scrambled clear.

Ramsgate had another chance after 38 minutes when the ever dangerous Warren Schultz hit a shot wide. Five minutes later Pulman got on the end of a cross and sent his header  wide but he was not to be denied when a minute later he made a mazy run into the penalty area and sent a shot past Nick Shaw to give the Rams a one goal half time lead.


Jake MacKenzie takes on Ramsgate defence

The first opportunity of the second half came to Town as Dan Hanshaw sent a shot wide. Another nine minutes in and Jake Beecroft sent a 20 yard shot well over the bar.  Town then made a treble substitution to try to change the fortunes of the game after 70 minutes and five minutes later they should have benefited from that change when a cross by Buster Smissen found debutant Luke Colman who was unable to convert.

Four minutes Ramsgate had a claim for a penalty turned down when Curtis Robinson was challenged by Harvey but the refereed waved away the appeal.  Town had one more opportunity when Smissen attempted an over head kick but it went well over the bar.

Ramsgate deserved their victory and Town must regroup for the next home match at home to Merstham next Tuesday.

Team: Shaw, Lee, Beale, Everitt, Raggett, Harvey, Parkinson (Smissen 70 mins), Beecroft, Hanshaw (Coleman 70 mins), Brunt, MacKenzie (Masade 70 mins).