Whitstable Hit Five Again

Kent Reliance Senior Trophy Preliminary Round
Saturday September 16 2017 15.00

Whitstable made it ten goals in two games as they comfortably beat Corinthian in this Kent Reliance Senior Trophy Preliminary Round tie. The home side put in a confident performance against a team that have also had a good start to the league campaign. Two goals from Danny Williams gave a dominant Whitstable the lead at the interval. Williams completed his hat-trick early in the second half before goals by James Morrish and Ricky Freeman made it 5-0 shortly after the hour mark. The visitors, to their credit, played better towards the end hitting the post and then Craig Cloke and Dan Eason both did well to ensure a clean sheet. Whitstable will now play FC Elmstead at the Belmont in the next round on Saturday 14th October.

For this cup fixture, Whitstable were without the injured Ashley Brown, so Jack West came in at right back and Morrish was fit to return in midfield, whilst another recent injury victim, Tom Bryant, started on the bench. Corinthian had collected 13 points from their first 7 matches and sat just above Whitstable in the league table. Prior to the kick off, Scott Porter was presented with his Manager of the Month award by Tony Day of the Southern Counties East League.

Scott Porter receives the manager of the month award

Corinthian won an early corner, but it was the home team who quickly started to play the ball around effectively and press forward. Jack West linked well with Freeman on the right and burst into the box with his shot being saved leading to a couple of quick corners. Williams was looking threatening and was just off target with a header from a Harry Brown cross before firing a shot over the bar following some good build up play by Freeman and Shaun Welford. The home supporters did not have to wait long for the first goal though as Williams raced on to a through ball to shoot low past Aiden Prall into the bottom right hand corner on 14 minutes.

Danny Williams scores the first

A few minutes later Prall spilled a high free kick and Williams picked up the loose ball, but the goalkeeper recovered in time to make the save. A rare Corinthian attack ended with Eason comfortably catching a long range effort by Alexander Jack Billings and then a corner by the visitors was helped on to former Whitstable defender Sam Groombridge at the far post, but his shot was way over the top. Back at the other end, Freeman did well to pull the ball back into the path of Morrish whose shot was blocked. The impressive Stuart West sent Williams away and his cross just eluded Freeman in front of goal but the ball was collected by Welford whose shot was saved by Prall. The second goal finally arrived after 37 minutes when the referee played the advantage following a deliberate hand ball by Ryan Sawyer as he tried to stop a forward pass. Williams collected the ball and played it out to Louis Sprosen on the left and his return pass was drilled straight into the net past a couple of defenders and the goalkeeper by Williams.

Williams beats Aiden Prall to double the lead
The Whitstable bench celebrate

After another ball into the box by Sprosen was scrambled clear, there were a few chances at both ends just before the break. A Bradley Large cross was just out of the reach of a diving Billings and then Charlie Clover turned in the box before shooting over. Freeman had an attempt off target for Whitstable before a Corinthian shot following a corner landed on top of the tall tree behind the goal. The last action of the half came from a Whitstable corner when Stuart West just failed to connect with the goal at his mercy, so the home side went in with a fully deserved 2-0 lead.

Whitstable made a change for the second half with Ollie Lee replacing Sprosen. It was soon 3-0 as a Craig Cloke free kick from the half way line was headed down at the back post by Stuart West and the ball fell invitingly for Williams to shoot home from close range and complete his hat-trick on 47 minutes.

Williams about to complete his hat trick

Harry Brown went down off the ball just afterwards and eventually had to leave the pitch, being replaced by Bryant. The injury will be need to be assessed, but he must be doubtful for the next couple of games. On 55 minutes Williams fed Welford, who rolled the ball across to Morrish and he tried his luck from well outside the box. The goalkeeper failed to hold the ball under his crossbar and spilled it into the net and it was 4-0.

James Morrish scores the fourth

In the 62nd minute it was 5-0 when Welford battled hard for the ball on the edge of the penalty area and the ball was played back to Freeman whose shot beat Prall.

Ricky Freeman is congratulated for his goal

With around half an hour still to play, more goals seemed likely, but Corinthian made three substitutions early in the second half and the changes saw them become more of an attacking threat, although the game was effectively over as a contest. Donvieve Jones did well to play the ball in for Oscar Housego and his shot came back off the post, only for Jones to send his follow up attempt wide.

Harris Rodgers replaced Welford for the home side, Lee struck a good shot just past the post and then Morrish shot straight at Prall from a Rodgers cross. Prall blocked another Lee effort and then Stuart West released Freeman, whose shot was well saved and Bryant shot over at the far post from the resulting corner. Michael Hurcomb had a couple of attempts for the visitors before Stuart West became the only name taken by the referee for a foul in midfield. Freeman hit another good low shot across the goal that was saved by Prall. In stoppage time, Hurcomb was denied by a goal line clearance by Cloke and from the rebound a fierce shot by Marcus Heddon was somehow kept out by Eason.

Dan Eason makes a great save to preserve his clean sheet
Danny Williams receives the Man Of The Match award

Whitstable are back in action on Tuesday, with only their second home league game of the season against Canterbury City, followed by the FA Vase fixture next weekend when Lancing are the visitors.

Whitstable Corinthian
22 Attempts 14
14 On Target 7
7 Corners 3
1 Offside 1
9 Free Kicks Won 10

Whitstable Town
Dan Eason, Jack West, Harry Brown (Tom Bryant 58), Rob Gillman, Craig Cloke (c), Stuart West, Louis Sprosen (Ollie Lee 46), James Morrish, Ricky Freeman, Shaun Welford (Harris Rodgers 66), Danny Williams.
Subs (unused): Charlie Smith, Nick Treadwell.
Goals: Danny Williams 14, 37, 47, James Morrish 55, Ricky Freeman 62.
Yellow card: Stuart West 86

Aiden Prall, Louis Anderson (Jordan Campbell 56), Bradley Large (Donvieve Jones 64), Sam Groombridge, Ryan Sawyer, Chris McDermott, Alexander Jack Billings, Jack Bath (c), Michael Hurcomb, Oscar Housego, Charlie Clover (Marcus Heddon 50).
Sub (unused): Aaron Guard

Attendance: 130
Referee: Nicholas Fruin
Assistants: Robin Smit & Bo Wang