Sittingbourne 3 Whitstable Town 0

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Tuesday 30th September 2014

It was a disappointing Tuesday evening as Whitstable were well beaten by Sittingbourne at Woodstock Park.

It was Whitstable who started the brighter and as early as the fourth minute Luke Girt headed over from inside the penalty area. Within a minute Ryan Golding got on the end of a Tom Loynes ball but fired straight at Adam Molloy in the Sittingbourne goal. Sittingbourne had their first effort on nine minutes when they shot over the bar. Luke Doherty was next to have a chance for Town but his long shot went wide. On 36 minutes Sittingbourne had another opportunity with a lob which looked to have beaten Town keeper Luke Watkins but also went wide of the post. Sittingbourne took the lead on 41 minutes when a Jono Richardson header slipped through Luke Watkins hands and into the net.  Just on half time Peter Wedgeworth hit a free kick from 25 yards which went just wide.The second half started with both sides looking to attack and on 57 minutes Wedgeworth had another shot this time just over the bar. A minute later and the same end result when Loynes hit a shot. However it was Sittingbourne who increased their lead after 62 minutes when Richardson got his second as he lobbed the ball over Watkins. On 66 minutes Golding curled the ball wide for Whitstable and then at the other end there was a melee in the Whitstable penalty area and the ball was cleared off the line. Then on 79 minutes Sittingbourne put the game out of Whitstable’s reach when a breakaway saw Elie Kayembe smash his shot past Watkins into the Whitstable net.  Whitstable did press forward towards the end leaving themselves vulnerable but Watkins made a number of saves to keep the score at 3-0.

It had been a bad evening at the office for Town who must now regain the form shown a couple of games ago.

Team Watkins, Doherty, Wedgeworth, Gray, Kennett, Treadwell (James 80mins), Mackenzie (Guila 51mins), Girt, Golding, Rowland (Lester 62mins, Loynes