Stuart King opens the scoring for the Bay
Stuart King opens the scoring for the Bay

Whitstable Town 1 Herne Bay 2

Robert Dyas Cup 1st Round

Tuesday 7th October 2014

Whitstable Town were beaten with a last gasp goal against Herne Bay on Tuesday evening in the first round of the Robert Dyas Cup 1st Round.

The game started off fairly evenly with Whitstable having the first opportunity after nine minutes when Pulman delivered a ball to Matty Guila but the ball was scrambled away by the Bay defence. A

Matty Guila loops a shot  for the equaliser
Matty Guila loops a shot for the equaliser

minute later, Herne Bay had their first attempt when Danny Williams had a shot easily saved by Luke Watkins. On 27 minutes Peter Wedgeworth crossed and Guila put the ball over the bar and a minute later Guila shot towards the corner and despite the ball being fumbled by Jack Delo the ball was cleared away. On the half hour Bay’s Joe Nelder shot over the bar from the edge of the area. On 38 minutes Ian Pulman hooked a shot straight at Delo and then on the stroke of half time Danny Walder fired a shot over the target.

Dan Johnson gets the Bay winner
Dan Johnson gets the Bay winner

Whitstable had to substitute keeper Luke Watkins on 50 minutes when he left the field with a head injury to be replaced by Charlie Hills who was straight into the action making a great save from a long range shot.  The Bay were to take the lead on 65 minutes when there was a melee in the Town penalty area and Stuart King was able to head home. Then after 76 minutes, Guila shot over on the far post and then Joe Lester turned in and he also fired over. On 82 minutes, Joe Kennett had a chance but his shot did not hit the target. Then as the game moved into injury time Town finally got an equaliser when Guila forced his way forward and sent his shot looping over Delo into the back of the net. As the game seemed to be moving towards penalties Herne Bay got a last gasp winner as a another melee in the Town penalty area saw Dan Johnson head home.

It was an early exit from the Robert Dyas Cup for Town who were without the injured Nick Treadwell, Scott Heard and Tom Loynes.

Team: Watkins (Hills 50mins), Ulph (Algar 30mins), Wedgeworth, Doherty, Kennett, Gray (Lester 45mins), Mackenzie, Girt, Pulman, Rowland, Guila.