Craig Thompson lobs keeper for Town's first
Craig Thompson lobs keeper for Town’s first

Whitstable Town 2 Potters Bar Town 2

FA Carlsberg Trophy 1st Qualifying Round

Saturday 19th October 2013

Whitstable Town ended the game perhaps thinking “what could have been” as they were held two-two in their home FA Carlsberg Trophy 1st Qualifying Round tie against Potters Bar Town  on Saturday.

The game started at a pace and two goals in three minutes set the tone as Potters Bar firstly took the lead after seven minutes. Cole Penny got himself on the end of a cross from the left to head home past Luke Watkins. Three minutes later Whitstable were level as Scott Heard put a through ball to Craig Thompson who lobbed the ball over Tommy Glanville into the net.  A minute later Heard again put a ball through to Thompson who this time sent his shot over the bar. Both teams continued to create

Charlie Smith pulled back and Sean Grace sent off
Charlie Smith pulled back and Sean Grace sent off

chances and after 13 minutes Josh Hutchinson sent a shot come cross across the penalty area but the ball went wide of the target. At the other end the ever dangerous Charlie Smith headed over the bar. On 24 minutes debutant Dylan Richards weaved his way into the box but could get a shot away and the chance was gone.  Three minutes later the ball came out to Heard who fired high over the bar from the edge of the penalty area. On 29 minutes Potters Bar defender, Sean Grace was shown a straight red card for pulling back Smith as he broke towards goal. The resultant free kick looped over the bar from Town manager, Nicky Southall. On 33 minutes a Southall corner was met by Joe Kane whose bullet header went just over the bar. On 41 minutes Kane sent a ball in but Smith was only able to head wide.  A minute before the break Heard sent in a ball to Kane who blasted over.

The second half started with the visitors on the attack. A minute in saw Chris Doyle send in a ball to Wesley Beckies but his attempt went wide.  Potters Bar then took the lead as Laurence Harvey was adjudged to have brought down a visiting striker. Up stepped Hutchinson who fired his penalty into the right corner. Town then started to come back into the game and after 56 minutes Jack Simon unleashed a shot that was heading for the corner of the net before Glanville produced a great save. On 62 minutes Sam Hallett had a shot but it was easily saved by Glanville to his right. Two minutes later Whitstable striker Thompson fired wired.  Seven minutes later Town were level as Glanville parried out a shot and man of

Joe Kane fires home Town's second
Joe Kane fires home Town’s second

the match Kane was on hand to fire home the equaliser.  Then home midfielder  Heard was shown a straight red card for a challenge on Penny.  Another red card for the visitors as substitute Tom Laxton was controversially sent off for challenge on 89 minutes.  One more opportunity for the Oystermen as a Ross Webb long range shot went wide.

A game that was never dirty ended up with three red cards  a two all draw and a replay on Monday at Potters Bar.

Team: Watkins, Kane, Hooper (Webb 79mins), Heard, Harvey, Huggens, Southall, Simon (Keyte 65 mins), Thompson, Smith C, Richards (Hallett 58mins)