Town celebrate opening goal

Whitstable Town 2 Faversham Town 3

Ryman League Division One (South)

Tuesday 2nd October 2012

It was a dark damp miserable evening at the Belmont on Tuesday night as Whitstable were leading comfortably 2-0 against Faversham Town with 15 minutes to go. But 10 man Faversham not only fought back but deservedly got a third goal to give them a victory that looked impossible earlier on.

The game started evenly but with few chances. The first came in after nine minutes when Faversham blasted well over the bar. The next period was a game of cat and mouse with few opportunities.  Nicky Southall hit a powerful free kick after 30 minutes but keeper Overland saved easily.  3 minutes later another Southall shot curled just wide.  After 39 minutes another chance for Faversham as Adrian Stone got on the end of a cross but his header went just wide.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 43rd minute when a Jake Beecroft drive hammered off the post straight back at Stuart Vahid who re-bounded the ball into the net. Claims of offside were turned away by the referee and the goal stood.

Micheal Everitt on the ball

Things looked better for Whitstable ten minutes into the second half when Faversham defender,   Jamie Maxted was shown a straight red card for what appeared to be a two footed challenge.  However from that moment Faversham started to press despite being down to ten men. They did not turn this possession into any goals and it was Whitstable who extended their lead after 71 minutes when Micheal Everitt hit the bar. Scott Heard met the rebound and passed the ball to Rob Gilman to tap in his first goal for the Town.

Only four minutes later Faversham pulled one back when ex Whitstable defender James Peacock headed in.  Faversham despite being behind continued the pressure and were rewarded in the 85thminute when Renford

Stuart Vahid challenges for the ball

Teague hit a long range shot that beat Nick Shaw in the Whitstable goal. One minute later Wayne Wilson was rewarded for a defensive mix up to score the winner.

It was a disappointing evening for Whitstable that looked so good for the early part of the game and was not made any better when Heard retaliated in the last minute and was shown a red card.

Team:  Shaw, Hare, Parter, Everitt, Harvey, Gilman, Southall, Beecroft, Vahid (Heard 64 mins), Abel, Luchford (Hickman 83mins)

Att. 170