Ryan Golding's shot brings scores level
Ryan Golding’s shot brings scores level

Whyteleafe 1 Whitstable Town 1

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 6th September 2014

Whitstable Town were indebted to a magnificent goal keeping performance from Luke Watkins as they had to fight hard to gain a point from Whyteleafe on Saturday afternoon.

The hosts put Town under early pressure and went ahead with their first clear cut opportunity in the fifth minute when the ball came back to Bentley Graham who slammed his shot past Watkins. Graham had two bites of the cherry after seven minutes

Ian Pulman slides in
Ian Pulman slides in

when both his shots were blocked. Whitstable had their first chance after fourteen minutes when Luke Girt fed Ryan Golding who shot wide from just outside the area. A minute later Tom Loynes nearly equalised when a dipping shot from thirty yards went just over the bar. Watkins made his first notable save after nineteen minutes when Ryan Fowler broke free but his attempt was pushed around the post by the Town keeper. Within a minute Town were level when Golding found some space and slid the ball past Sheikh Ceesay clinically.  Another fine save on 33 minutes saw Whyteleafe captain Jason Thompson shoot but Watkins was at full stretch to keep the scores level. One more chance for Town after 39 minutes when Jack Healey hit a shot from a narrow angle but the ball held well by Cessay.

Whyteleafe came out aggressively  and had a number of chances

Hero Luke Watkins makes another fine save
Hero Luke Watkins makes another fine save

with Thompson blasting over from ten yards  after 48 minutes and then after 57 minutes steering the ball wide from 18 yards. Rosco D’Sane brought a great reaction save from Watkins on the hour and then Thompson blasted over again three minutes later. However Town still looked dangerous on the breakaway and after 65 minutes Tom Loynes crossed but Golding headed over.  After 68 minutes Graham had a shot well blocked by Nick Treadwell. From the corner Dylan Merchant headed goal ward but yet again Watkins produced a fine save. A melee in the Town penalty area saw an effort blast off a Whyteleafe attacker and away.  On 73 minutes Loynes forced a good save out of Ceesay who tipped the ball over the bar. Two more saves from Watkins kept the scores level when firstly after 79 minutes he saved a point blank effort from Shawn Lyle and then again Thompson finally found the target but the Town keeper saved at full stretch.

Town have to be happy with a point on Whyteleafe’s 3G surface and must be grateful to Watkins for the help in extending the unbeaten run to nine games.

Team: Watkins, Healey, Wedgeworth, Doherty, Gray, Treadwell, Girt, Hogg, Pulman (Rowland 76 mins), Golding, Loynes