Maidstone United Under 18’s 2 Whitstable Town Under 18’s 2

Whitstable won 5-3 on pens

Lucas Fettes Cup 2nd Round

Tuesday 27th November 2012 

Whitstable Town U18’s took on Maidstone in the cup at the Gallagher Stadium on Tuesday night, with both sides playing their part in an entertaining encounter.  In a rain swept evening Whitstable tried to keep the ball down and take the game to their opponents.  They were rewarded for early possession when Brandon Kerr was tackled from behind leading to Maidstone conceding a penalty in the first 15 minutes.  Jack Clements stepped up to the spot but his kick rose high over the crossbar.  This brought about a change in the game, with Maidstone grabbing the initiative, leading to an opening goal, a corner driven in with the Whitstable defence making a poor clearance presenting Maidstone with an easy opportunity to tap the ball home. Maidstone continued to push and their second goal came on 30 minutes, again from a corner, an easy header in with the Town defence nowhere to be seen.

To be fair to the Whitstable lads, they never gave in and took hold of the remaining first half, Jack Clements creating lots of play down the left and the front two of Tom Bines and Christian Thompson, working hard to shut down and pressure the Maidstone defence into several mistakes. All hard work paid off when a ball played into the Maidstone box created a scramble on the goal line, which allowed Charlie Taylor to drive the ball home to make it 2-1.

The second half started with Maidstone having the most possession, with the Whitstable boys digging deep trying to break up the play.  There were several chances created but the break fell to Whitstable as Dan Packer was pushed over in the Stones area, giving Whitstable their second penalty of the game. This time, there was no mistake, with Lewis King driving the ball home to the Keepers left making it 2-2.  This set up a tense finale with Maidstone adopting 3 up front, Whitstable though held firm and created several chances to win it.  With the final whistle blown it went straight to a penalty shootout. Whitstable put away their first four penalties, Elliot Bensted, Lewis King, Jack Clements, and Tom Bines doing the job.  Maidstone, having converted their last three, took their 4th spot kick which Harry Barrow parried to his right, off his chest for a great stop. It was then down to Lewis Fitchie, to win it for Town, and he did this by slotting home into the right corner for a 5-3 win.

A fantastic, hard fought result for the boys.  Well done.  Roll on the next round.