Whitstable Town U18’s 2 v Lordswood U18’s 2

Sunday 20th September 2012

Whitstable Town entertained Lordswood last Sunday in the Premier League Division One, and came so close to their first three points of the season.  With the team still having several players missing with injury and holidays, they started well having good amounts of possession.  Harry Burrow and Kari James, making their debuts in goal and central defence respectively, coping well with the Lordswood attack.

Whitstable created several chances as Lewis King, Jimmy Lambert and Dan Packer started to win the midfield battle but against the run of play the Lordswood attack managed to split the Whitstable defence and slotted home the first goal of the game to lead 1-0 which was the half time score.

The second half started brightly for Town as they came out determined to level the game.  After several attempts at goal, this materialised from one of several corners won.  A ball swung into the 18 yard box by Lewis King, was not cleared by the Lordswood defence and Steven Draper was at hand to lash the ball into the top corner.

The momentum was clearly now with Whitstable and they continued to put the pressure on.  Changes were made and with around 20 minutes to go, Town found number 2, some good win play from substitute Sam Hudson, saw him whip a ball into the box for Lewis King to arrive with a spectacular diving header into the bottom corner.

Town knew Lordswood would come back at them, and defended well knowing that victory was not far away, but in the 89th minute it wasn’t to be.  A shot at goal from Lordswood could only be deflected on to the crossbar by Town’s keeper and the rebound put in the net by the Lordswood attack.

The drama continued as the Town players were convinced that the Lordswood striker was clearly off-side.  With the game about done, Whitstable launched one final attack, with Sam Hudson again driving a ball in from the left side.  Substitue, Ricky Lammy, making contact with the ball, but watching his shot go painfully wide.  The final whistle was then blown.

Disappointment for the boys, but a far more solid performance from the whole squad.  They now face Corinthians, on Sunday October 7th in the Nike One5Nine Cup at the Belmont, 11.00am kick off.