Maidstone United Under 18’s 2 Whitstable Town Under 18’s 0

Kent Youth Cup 

Sunday 26th January 2014

Report thanks to  Adrian Swan

Maidstone eased their way into the next round of the Kent Youth Cup with a comfortable win over a resolute Whitstable side whose job was made even harder with the 54th minute dismissal of centre half Joe Holland for two bookings. This was a game that Maidstone dominated throughout and but for an excellent performance from Whitstable keeper Wes Miller it could have been far more than two nil. After an even opening The Stones took the lead in the 10th minute when Ellis Iandolo played a superb through ball into the run of Liam Mayell. Mayell took a touch just inside the area before finishing neatly slotting the ball home low to the left of Miller. Shortly afterwards Maidstone nearly increased their lead after a corner was not cleared and the ball fell to Rory Head who looped a header over Miller but Kyle Ball headed off the line at the right hand post. On 24 minutes a neat Maidstone passing move put Liam King in on goal but Miller made a fine block low to his right and then on the half hour mark Charlie Munnery tried a long range shot that flew straight at Miller. On 41 minutes Iandolo flashed a long range shot narrowly wide before on the stroke of half time an inswinging corner from Russell Latter beat the outstretched arm of Miller but hit the bar and flew over.

On 54 minutes Holland was sent off, when having already been booked in the first half for a foul, he rashly dived in on a tackle, missing the ball and catching a Stones player which earned him a second yellow card and an early bath. A minute later the Stones nearly made their visitors pay as a right wing cross from Rhys Knapp was met by a powerful close range header from Latter that was superbly turned over by Miller. Town then went close to drawing level on 63 minutes when Sam Hudson floated a cross from the left into the near post where Beau Taylor controlled the ball well on his chest before hitting a left foot volley on the turn that flew narrowly wide. Minutes later the Stones scored their second when Iandolo fed half time substitute Chimdi Otuadinma on the edge of the box. He twisted right and then left beating his marker before firing home low to the left of Miller. Town nearly pulled a goal back a minute later when Christian Sorte fired in a long range shot that Brad Morgan saved low to his left. Then it was Mayell who turned well on the edge of the box and fired in a shot that Miller saved diving low to his left. A minute later it should have been three when another substitute Matt Bennett floated in a cross from the left to the far post where Mayell’s well directed cushioned header put Otuadinma in on goal but he dragged his shot wide when well placed. Then Iandolo hit a long range shot that Miller saved diving low to his left for a corner before Iandolo put Head in on goal but Miller saved his chipped shot high above his head. Into the last 10 minutes Town’s Taylor fired in a long range shot that flew just over before the home side nearly scored again when another great crossfield pass from Iandolo put Mayell in on goal but Miler was quickly off his line to make a fine close range block with his legs for a corner. This was to be the first of a series of Maidstone corners as desperate but brave defending by Whitstable kept then at bay. Then on 86 minutes another through ball from Iandolo put Otuadinma in on goal but again Miller made a great close range block. Minutes later Liam King’s crossfield pass found Bennett but his shot was well held by Miller high above his head. On 90 minutes Town nearly got a consolation goal as Hudson fired in a long range shot that Morgan saved low to his left. The final action of the game deep in stoppage time saw Miller make yet another good save to keep out Mayell’s long range shot.

Team: Miller, Ball, Moat, Taylor, Holland, Benstead, Huston,  Hudson, Sorte, Holman, Smith J. Subs Foster, Kitto, Young, Warren, Reynolds