Nick Treadwell on the attack
Nick Treadwell on the attack

Whitstable Town 1 Merstham 1

Ryman League Division One (South)

Tuesday 19th August 2014

Whitstable Town continued their unbeaten start to the season with a gritty point at home to Merstham on Tuesday evening.

The Red’s started the game on the back foot as Merstham created the first opportunity within the first minute when Town keeper Luke Watkins attempted a clearance but the ball bounced back off Taurean Roberts but he could not find the target. Within four minutes Merstham threatened the Town goal again but this time Tommy Hutchings fired wide. Town man of the match, Tom Loynes got into the action after ten minutes when he put in a very dangerous cross but that was blocked. Within a minute, Scott Heard had a shot which just missed the target.  Two minutes later at the other end, Peter Wedgeworth, who is making a habit of saving Town’s blushes was on hand to clear the ball off the line. Merstham had another chance after 24 minutes when Hutchings burst down the left but fired

Tom Loynes puts Town ahead
Tom Loynes puts Town ahead

over.  Town finally broke the deadlock  a minute later when a Heard free kick went deep into the Merstham penalty area to find Loynes who glanced the ball past the visitors keeper Brannon Daly. On 32 minutes Wedgeworth sent a free kick in but Daly was on hand to save easily and then on 36 minutes Roberts went on a run but shot over the Town bar. The visitors came close to an equaliser three minutes before the interval when a Hutchings lob dropped onto the top of the cross bar and the chance was gone.

The second half started with Merstham pressing. Right back Simon Cooper sent in a shot that was saved by Watkins and then on 55 minutes they were deservedly  level when Fabio Saraiva slammed the ball into the net.  On the hour Roberts weaved his way through the Town defence but could not find the target. Town

Kane Rowland goes down - penalty not given
Kane Rowland goes down – penalty not given

weathered this storm and started to create their own chances and after 62 minutes Heard hit a shot from outside the penalty area just over the bar and then shot over eight minute later. The game was now going from end to end and it could have gone either way. On 84 minutes Loynes shot from the right but the ball went over the bar and then on 88 minutes Town had a strong appeal for a penalty turned down when Kane Rowland went down in the penalty area.

The final whistle marked the end of a competitive game that could have gone either way but both teams had to settle for a point.


Team: Watkins, Doherty, Wedgeworth, Gray, Kennett, Treadwell, Heard, Girt, Pulman (Rowland 80mins), Mackenzie (Golding 61mins), Loynes