Craig Thompson fires home Town's first
Craig Thompson fires home Town’s first

Walton & Hersham 3 Whitstable Town 4

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Tuesday 3rd December 2013

Whitstable Town’s magnificent run continued on Tuesday evening as they came back from 3-1 down to win 4-3 against Walton & Hersham.

The game which had been switched to Merstham FC due to floodlight problems at Stampond Lane  started off at a pace with Walton & Hersham taking the lead within the first minute. A run down the right  by Samad Kazi went almost unchallenged. He sent a ball over Juan Onleva who fired home. However within four minutes Craig Thompson hooked in the equaliser from a Joe Kane cross. The game continued end to end and next chance came after 13 minutes when Steve Hafner fired in a ball which found John Guest who headed wide.  Town found themselves behind again after 18 minutes when Andre Scarlett shot from outside the penalty area and found the right corner of the net. Within two minutes things looked really bad for the

Peter Huggens pulls a goal back
Peter Huggens pulls a goal back

visitors as the ever dangerous Kazy got on the score sheet slotting home as he received the ball from a free kick.  Within two minutes Town had a penalty appeal for handball turned down after Scott Heard had fired a shot into the penalty area. Ten minutes before half time Whitstable pulled another goal back as Hafner found Peter Huggens at the far post and centre back slammed the ball home from close range.  The high pace of the game continued as Jake Baxter surged into the penalty area for the hosts but Matt Byott saved well to prevent the Swans increasing their lead. On 40 minutes Hafner sent a free kick straight at Dane Buss in the Walton & Hersham goal.  Town could have levelled a minute before half time as Scott Heard had a shot blocked. The rebound came back to Thompson who slammed his attempt into  the side netting.

The second half started with the hosts on the attack but after 56 minutes Onieva could only shoot straight at Byott.  The game then began to turn in Whitstable’s

Jordan Wells gets equaliser
Jordan Wells gets equaliser

favour. Firstly on 58 minutes  Kane sent in a cross that Guest headed just wide., Kane again delivered a dangerous looping cross after 65 minutes but there was nobody  on hand to put the ball away. Then came the equaliser on 66 minutes. Substitute Jordan Wells was able to get his head on a high ball in the area and managed to  flick the ball onto  beat keeper Buss. Wells was again in on the action on 75 minutes when he did well to get a shot away that was just deflected wide.  Then came the decisive goal that gave Whitstable all three points with six minutes remaining. Heard pulled the ball back from the by line on the left to find Hafner who fired home and the comeback was complete. There were very  few chances that followed and Town were rewarded with three points for their fighting spirit.

That makes seven wins on the spin and nine points out of nine in the last three league games as Town continued their fine run.

Steve Hafner's shot seals the points
Steve Hafner’s shot seals the points

Team: Byott, Kane, Webb (Maguire 83mins), Hafner, Guest, Huggens, Heard, Brown, Thompson (Simon 80mins), Smith C (Wells J 45mins), Mackenzie