Town Well Beaten At Home

Bostik League South East
Saturday November 3 2018 15.00

Whyteleafe completed a relatively comfortable victory at the Belmont with a goal in each half against a disappointing Whitstable team. Ricky Freeman flashed an early shot just wide for Whitstable and Lauris Chin somehow just failed to put the ball into the net when he looked certain to open the scoring for the visitors. Whyteleafe played some good football on the nice playing surface and it was no surprise when they took the lead on the half hour mark, when a Trey Williams cross went past everyone into the far corner. It should have been 2-0 when they were awarded a penalty, but Eddie Dsane failed to beat Dan Eason from the spot, so Whitstable went into the break somewhat fortunate to be trailing by just a single goal. The home team did improve a little at the start of the second half, but conceded a second soft goal when a hopeful ball into the box by Bradley Wilson curled past everyone and went in. A good Tom Walmsley cross gave Stephen Smith the chance to pull a goal back, but he failed to get a good connection and with better finishing at the other end, the margin of defeat would have been greater.

Whitstable came into this match having lost their previous three and once again had a number of key players missing. John Walker and Louis Sprosen remain side-lined through injury and Teddy Nelson by illness, Chris Saunders was serving the final game of his ban, Aiden Enver has returned to Bromley and skipper James Morrish was unavailable. Whyteleafe have made a good start to the season with a largely new team, a number of whom moved across from Croydon with the manager in the summer. They were missing the suspended Matthew O’Donoghue and Harrison Carnegie, who were both sent off the previous week, but Ricardo Thompson returned to the Belmont, having made seven appearances for Whitstable, on loan from Gillingham in 2015-16.

The teams pay their respects to those involved in the tragic accident at Leicester City

There were a couple of early chances for Whitstable, firstly when Stephen Smith headed the ball on for Freeman whose shot from a narrow angle on the right flew just past the far post and then Charlie Smith tried a shot from distance that was saved by Tyler McCarthy. Whyteleafe should really have taken the lead on 10 minutes however, when the ball was crossed from the left to Chin at the far post, but he sliced his shot wide with the goal at his mercy. Dsane then got through on goal, but was blocked by Eason and the same player then made another mazy run into the box before having a shot deflected for a corner. Former Sevenoaks captain Corey Holder shot over from 20 yards after the ball was not properly cleared by the home defence. Wilson then played in Marvin Armstrong, but Eason saved at his near post. Whitstable were getting caught in possession too many times and Armstrong had another long range shot saved by Eason.

Ricky Freeman shoots across goal
The ball goes just wide of the far post
Lauris Chin puts a great chance wide

Whitstable were given a sight of goal when Nathan Campbell hit his clearance straight to Chris Elliott, but his shot sailed high over the bar. In the 30th minute, Williams crossed from the left after Whitstable had conceded possession from a throw in and Dsane tried to get a touch, but the ball went directly into the far corner to give Whyteleafe the lead. Freeman latched on to a ball over the top and hooked a shot towards goal that was easily saved, then Whitstable conceded a penalty for a push in the box. Dsane stepped up, but it was not a great spot kick and Eason was able to save low to his left. There was some late action when Elliott sent a free kick into the Whyteleafe box, one shot was blocked and Walmsley struck the rebound just wide, but Whitstable would have been relieved to get into the dressing room just trailing 1-0.

Stephen Smith and Tyler McCarthy collide
Eddie Dsane’s penalty is saved by Dan Eason

Whitstable came out after the break with a little more determination and after some early pressure, Jordan Wright had a shot saved. Whyteleafe were soon looking dangerous again though and Williams slipped the ball to Chin, whose shot went just the wrong side of the post. A pull back from the right gave Armstrong a great chance, but he lifted his shot over the bar. Stephen Smith tried a shot that was deflected for a corner and then Charlie Smith glanced a header just wide from a Harry Brown free kick. Brown had just replaced Elliott, as both teams started to make substitutions. In the 66th minute, Whyteleafe scored their second goal and it was similar to the first, as this time Wilson curled a right footed cross in from the left and it went past everyone into the bottom right corner of the net.

Tyler McCarthy gets down to save a shot from Jordan Wright

Whitstable almost pulled a goal back immediately when Walmsley, who had been playing as a makeshift right wing back, sent over a perfect cross for Stephen Smith, who was unable to get enough power in his header to trouble McCarthy. A good passing move ended with a point blank save by Eason to deny Whyteleafe a third. Whitstable substitute Kyran Connolly cut in from the right and had a shot saved, then Freeman tried a hopeful shot from distance that was easily gathered by McCarthy. Dsane and Armstrong had further attempts at increasing the lead, before Stuart West headed a Whitstable corner at McCarthy. In added time, Dsane had two more late shots, one over the bar after Whyteleafe passed their way through the home defence and another hit the side netting. The referee, who had an excellent game, blew the final whistle to confirm a 2-0 away win shortly afterwards.

Whyteleafe are now just outside the play off places with games in hand on most above them after a deserved three points, but the Whitstable manager will be keen to have a few extra players available in order to be more competitive in the games ahead.

Whitstable Whyteleafe
11 Attempts 18
7 On Target 8
2 Corners 2
1 Offside 3
8 Free Kicks Won 10

Whitstable Town
Dan Eason, Tom Walmsley (Elliott Hartnell-Baker 77), Chris Elliott (Harry Brown 57), Stuart West, Rob Gillman, Tom Bryant (c), Jordan Wright, Charlie Smith, Ricky Freeman, Stephen Smith, Jai McKinlay (Kyran Connolly 71).
Subs (unused): none

Tyler McCarthy, Bradley Wilson, Bryan Akongo (Zahui Orome 71), Nathan Campbell (c), Ricardo Thompson, Corey Holder, Lauris Chin (Jamie McGeoghegan 63), Bentley Graham, Eddie Dsane, Marvin Armstrong (Arif Hattabi 87), Trey Williams.
Sub (unused): Scott Day
Goals: Trey Williams 30, Bradley Wilson 66.

Attendance: 172
Referee: Scott Rudd
Assistants: Luke Chapman & Daniel D’Urso