Ashley Miller puts away penalty
Ashley Miller puts away penalty

Whitstable Town 2 Tooting & Mitcham United 2

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 12th April 2014

Whitstable Town were pegged back twice as they were held by Tooting & Mitcham United on Saturday afternoon.

The game started brightly for Whitstable as Macauley Murray hit a third minute free kick on the edge of the area just over the bar. Ashley Miller created another chance a minute later when he pulled the ball back from the by line to David Raggett who hit the ball over the bar. Then in the 16th minute  there were

Town on the attack
Town on the attack

appeals for hand ball in the Tooting penalty area and the referee pointed to the spot. Up stepped Miller who sent keeper Paul Smith the wrong way to give Whitstable the lead. The visitors had to wait until 19 minutes for their first attempt when Harry Knock turned and fired the ball over the bar. Another penalty was given after 22 minutes this time for Tooting as there appeared to be an unfair challenge in the area. This time it was Jordan Cheadle who took the penalty sending Town keeper Luke Watkins the wrong way to bring the scores level. One more chance in the first half saw Tom Jelley put in a shot for Tooting which was cleared very efficiently by Scott Heard. The half  finished  level which was a fair reflection of the balance of play.

The second half was end to end with both sides threatening. After 56 minutes Heard fired in a dangerous  ball from the right but

Ashley Miller heads Town's second
Ashley Miller heads Town’s second

the it was cleared for a corner. A minute later at the other end the Tooting striker Sol Pinnock shot high and wide. On the hour Knock broke into the penalty area but the ball was deflected for a corner.  Three minutes later Heard sent in a cross which Charlie Smith met with his head but the ball was blocked. On 69 minutes man of the match Miller weaved his way into the penalty area but before he could get an effective shot away Smith was on hand to block. However Miller was not to be denied as he put Town ahead for the second time when he got on the end of a Jack Parter cross blasting his header into the back of the net. On 77 minutes a great cross from Dan Keyte for Town found Charlie Smith and he headed over. With 82 minutes gone Tooting equalised when Jordan Cheadle collected the ball and neatly placed his shot into the corner of the net. Then came two minutes of madness as firstly Town striker Charlie Smith was sent off for a second bookable offence and then a minute later Tooting goal scorer Cheadle followed him again for a second yellow card.

Town must continue to look over their shoulders and get the points to ensure their Ryman League future.

Team: Watkins, Heard (Brown 81mins), Hafner (Etherington 89mins), Raggett, Kane, Murray, Keyte, Smith C, Miller, Achong.