Ian Pulman puts Town ahead
Ian Pulman puts Town ahead

Walton Casuals 1 Whitstable Town 1

FA Cup Preliminary Round

Saturday 30th August 2014

Whitstable Town probably gave their worst performance of the season but eventually hung on to earn a replay in one-all draw in Saturday’s FA Cup Preliminary Round tie at Walton Casuals.

The first opportunity came after five minutes when Ryan Golding broke through the Casuals defence but sent his shot straight at keeper Luke Badiali. The next two chances came at the other end as firstly Malik Ovani cut in but shot high over the bar and then as

A narrow miss Tom Loynes
A narrow miss from Tom Loynes

penalty appeals were turned down Derek Tieku curled the ball just over the Town bar. On nineteen minutes Ian Pulman shot from a tight angle and Badiali was on hand to save well. Whitstable then took the lead on twenty minutes when Tom Loynes put in a pin point cross finding Pulman at the far post where he finished well. Casuals had two more opportunities before the interval where Town keeper Luke Watkins had to be on guard firstly to save from Connor French who sent a low shot goal ward and then with a minute to the interval French hit a shot which was well saved by Watkins.

Walton Casuals up the gears in the second half and two minutes into the half Tieku hooked the ball over the bar. Three minutes later the hosts were level when Mitchell Gutheridge had a free header in the penalty area and he sent the ball past Watkins into the Town net. Casuals nearly took the lead a minute later when Liam Collins fired over the bar. However Town were still creating chances as Loynes moved in but his shot was deflected wide. Tieku who was proving dangerous, was denied again by Watkins who pushed the strikers shot round the post for a corner after 66 minutes. With twenty minutes to go Pulman broke free but fired over the bar. A lack of discipline saw Walton Casuals

Luke Girt climbs high
Luke Girt climbs high

midfielder Charlie Gilliard shown a red card for violent conduct as he appeared to kick out at Tom Loynes. Casuals continued to look dangerous without creating any meaningful chances and Town could have stolen the tie five minutes from time when Loynes weaved his way through the home defence but his final shot was deflected wide.

The two teams must now do it all again at the Belmont on Tuesday evening.

Team: Watkins, Girt, Wedgeworth, Doherty, Hogg, Treadwell, Heard, Pettit (Healey 53mins), Pulman (Lester 88mins), Golding, Loynes