Jake MacKenzie fires home the first

Whitstable Town 4 Hythe Town 3

Isthmian League Cup 2nd Round

Tuesday 16th October 2012  

For those who stayed away from the Belmont on Tuesday night, it was entertaining game in which Whitstable deservedly progressed to the next round of the Isthmian League Cup as they ran out 4-3 winners.  Both teams were changed from their last league game but served up a thrilling game.  There was an early substitution for Whitstable in the 10th minute when Dane Luchford was replaced by Micheal Everitt after a slight hamstring injury.  Whitstable took the lead 8 minutes later when Jake MacKenzie pounced on a defensive mix up and broke free to push the ball past Tom Elliot in the Hythe goal.  The lead was only to last seven minutes when George Savage turned to slot the ball wide of goalkeeper,Nick Shaw. .

Craig Cloke handles on the line

Whitstable really started to push forward in the later stages of the first half. Jake Beecroft hit a shot wide in the 35th minute and then two minutes later sent over a cross for Laurence Harvey to head over.  Just on the stroke of half time Whitstable regained the lead as Buster Smissen sent in a short range shot that Hythe defender Craig Cloke pushed over the bar with his hand. The referee was given no choice but to show Cloke a red card and Hythe were down to ten men. Up stepped Nicky Southall who fired his penalty into the corner of the net.

Whitstable came out and attacked at the start of the second half with Mackenzie nearly getting his second straight away but he fired wide.  In the 55th minute Hythe drew level when Pat Kingwell got onto a loose ball to send his shot just wide of Shaw. After 68 minutes Nicky Southall sent a blasting drive just over the bar. Two minutes later Morrish put Whitstable back in front. It was the goal of the game as he sent a 30 yard drive over the keeper and into the net.  Nine minutes later John Guest rose above the Hythe defence to hammer home a header from a Beecroft corner to all but seal the game.

John Guest rises above defence to score

However Hythe continued to threaten and on 88 minutes Craig Thompson punished a defensive error to slot the ball home to make it 4-3. This made injury time very nail biting but theRreds held on to progress to the next round.

Team: Shaw, Healey, Parter, Hamshare (Southall 44mins), Harvey, Guest, Luchford (Everitt 10mins), Beecroft, Smissen (Sinden 79 mins), Morrish, MacKenzie

Att 84