Town Start With A Win

Pre-season friendly
Saturday July 15 2017 15.00

Whitstable won their first pre-season game, beating neighbours Faversham Town 2-1 on an emotional afternoon at the Belmont. A minute’s silence was held in respect of club legend Bruce Smith before the match. Two late first half goals put the home side in control, as Harry Goodger scored from the penalty spot after Danny Williams had been fouled and then a fine volley by Louis Sprosen on the stroke of half time doubled the lead. There were lots of substitutions after the break and Sam Bewick pulled a goal back for Faversham as the referee awarded another penalty when Carl Harrold handled in the box.

Whitstable pay their respects to Bruce Smith

Football returned to the Belmont Ground after the summer break and Whitstable started with ten players on the bench, including a number of regulars from last season. Bostik League opponents Faversham, who had already played a strong Gillingham side the previous week, had a smaller squad for the afternoon. There was an early opening for the home side, but the final ball by Goodger, who had a good debut up front, was just too strong. At the other end, Kyron Lightfoot turned well on the edge of the area, but his shot was blocked. Goodger headed the ball on to Sprosen, but he was unable to get his header on target. The visitors played the ball around quite well and created a couple of good first half chances against a bigger and stronger looking Whitstable side. Dan Eason saved well as Sam Lawford was first to a cross by Macca Murray.

Dan Eason keeps this header out

Tom Bryant headed an Aaron Quain corner just over at the far post on 30 minutes, before Charley Robertson had a shot deflected behind for a Faversham corner. On 40 minutes a long ball sent Danny Williams clear, Matt Bourne challenged him in the box and although he managed to get a shot away, the referee awarded a penalty that was thumped past Simon Overland by Goodger.

Danny Williams wins a penalty
Harry Goodger scores from the spot

Williams then did well to get past Bourne on the right, but curled his shot just wide. Just before the break though, another good ball in from left by Quain was volleyed superbly past Overland into the top corner by Sprosen to send the home side in 2-0 up.

Louis Sprosen volleys the second

On 50 minutes, a good cross by Ricky Freeman was glanced just wide by Williams. Whitstable then changed all of their back four, as the substitutions began and in the 64th minute, the referee gave Faversham a penalty as the ball struck Carl Harrold on the hand from close range. Former Oyster Sam Bewick stepped up to send Eason the wrong way. Charlie Smith headed a Harrold cross over the top and then struck a low free kick just wide as Whitstable tried to restore their two goal advantage.

A late Charlie Smith free kick is just wide

Liam King had a good shot parried by Eason and Lawford could only put the rebound wide. Faversham tried to find an equaliser, but it was not to be and Whitstable started their pre-season campaign with a 2-1 win. Goalkeeper Eason was the only Whitstable player to complete the full 90 minutes, so everyone else had an opportunity to get some time on the pitch. Sittingbourne are the next visitors to the Belmont on Tuesday evening.

Whitstable Town
Dan Eason, George Savage (Carl Harrold 51), Aaron Quain (Harry Brown 51), Stuart West (Ashley Brown 51), Craig Cloke (c) (Rob Gillman 51), Tom Bryant (Jack Mahoney 51), Louis Sprosen (Sam Brown 56), James Morrish (Ollie Lee 56), Ricky Freeman (Calvin Sedenu 81), Harry Goodger (Charlie Smith 61), Danny Williams (Jack West 71).
Goals: Harry Goodger (pen) 40, Louis Sprosen 45.

Faversham Town
Simon Overland, Ryan Cooper, Reion McFarlane, Dan Carrington (Freeman Rogers 56), Matt Bourne (Ryan Cheek 56), Sam Bewick, Charley Robertson, Macca Murray (Luke Griffiths 56), Liam King, Sam Lawford, Kyron Lightfoot (Jordan Casey 56).
Goal: Sam Bewick (pen) 64

Attendance: 132
Referee: Zoltan Konkoly
Assistants: Richard Joss & Mark Cheeseman