Kieron Campbell tries to break through
Kieron Campbell tries to break through

Whitstable Town 1 Molesey 2

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 26th September 2015

Whitstable Town’s poor start to the season continued on Saturday as they were beaten 2-1 at home by Molesey.

The first half was one way traffic with all the chances coming for the visitors. Molesey had their first attempt after three minutes when James McShane broke through but fired his shot straight at Town keeper Adam Highsted.  Town found themselves behind after eight minutes as Luke Doherty brought down James Cottee. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and up stepped McShane to put the ball in the corner of the net. The pressure

Ira Jackson gets Town's goal
Ira Jackson gets Town’s goal

continued and it was Dre Crobbler who had a shot deflected wide.  After 14 minutes Tom Windsor had a looping effort that went over the bar and then Ross Chalkes nodded the ball over Highsted but also over the cross bar. The constant pressure was rewarded on 37 minutes when Ollie Gray was caught in possession. Cottee took the ball and fired home. That was just reward for Molesey who had dominated the first half against a very sluggish looking Whitstable team.

Whitstable seemed to show more purpose in the second half and had their first chance of the game two minutes after the break when Michael Hurcombe had a shot palmed wide by Molesey keeper Liam Allan. However the visitors continued to create chances and man of the match Cottee shot over the bar on 50 minutes and then Craig Lewington shot wide from long range. Town were to get a lifeline on the hour when substitute Ira Jackson broke free and side footed the ball over the line to give the hosts some hope. On 67 minutes Highsted was on hand to keep Town in the game when he saved well from Reis Stanislaus. With two minutes to go Whitstable’s Charlie Smith did well to battle for the ball but once he gained control of the ball he fired wide.

Town will need to bounce back quickly for Tuesday’s crunch game at home to Ramsgate.

Team: Highsted, Gray, Crimmen, McGeehan, Doherty, Bewick, Heard, Algar (Smith 82mins), Hurcombe, Boyle (Jackson 50 mins), Campbell