Sam Bewick scores Town's goal
Sam Bewick scores Town’s goal

Whitstable Town 1 Carshalton Athletic 2

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 15th August 2015

Whitstable Town sunk to their third defeat in a row as they went down 2-1 at home to Carshalton Athletic on Saturday afternoon.

It was Carshalton who created the early chances and the game was only sixty seconds old when a long range shot from Mickel Miller went sailing over the bar. Town were to find themselves behind on four minutes when Miller was at the far post to head in from a cross. They were only to be ahead for six minutes when Sam Bewick brought down the ball on to his right foot and sent a looping shot into the left hand top corner of the net. Whitstable continued to press and a ball from Scott Heard forced Carshalton goalkeeper Matt Willard to spill and Treadwell could not quite get the angle on a shot to find the net. Heard again sent in a ball

Nick Treadwell goes close
Nick Treadwell goes close

that found Bewick who shot just over from the edge of the penalty area. Carshalton then applied the pressure and it was Sean O’Toole who found himself one on one with Town keeper Adam Highsted but he sent his attempt wide of the target. Two minutes later Miller had another attempt blocked by the Town defence. On 39 minutes Joe Kennett got on the end of a ball but launched his shot over. The visitors could have increased their lead just into injury time when Greg Andrews fired wide from the edge of the area.

Town started the second half on the attack as Heard shot from distance over the bar. On the hour substitute Tommy Bradford shot over the Whitstable bar and then then Lee Hall had a shot deflected into the arms of HIghsted. Town had a golden opportunity on seventy minutes when Scott Heard broke through but he was blocked by Willard. Willard was in the action again when he blocked a Charlie Smith attempt. With five minutes of normal time left Adam Woollcott hit a free kick which was parried by Willard but Kane Rowland could not get on the end of it. A minute later the decisive moment came as Kingsley Aikihdionbarr pounced on a defensive mix up and slotted the ball home.

Town now find themselves bottom of the table with no points and must now regroup looking forward as they take a break on Tuesday when they entertain Faversham Town in the Alan Turvey Cup.

Team: Hishsted, Gray (Woollcott 71mins), Robinson, Treadwell, Kennett, Doherty, Heard, Bewick, Seenan (Smith 73mins), Rowland, Campbell (Jackson 66mins)