Vahid nearly get on the end of a cross

Whitstable Town 0 Leatherhead 1

FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round

27th October 2012

Leatherhead progress into the next round of the FA Trophy, as they won a tight “all Ryman League Division One South” contest on Saturday,  with a one nil win against Whitstable Town at the Belmont on Saturday. It was a game where attempts on target were at a premium. Whitstable had the first opportunity in the 6th minute when a Jake Beecroft cross was headed wide by Buster Smissen.  A minute later Leatherhead created their first chance when Tommy Hutchings turned and shot wide. Another minute later Leatherhead striker Tom Bradbrook shot well over. Then after 14 minutes Whitstable defender, Josh Hare hit a drive from 25 yards just wide.

Further opportunities came for the home side as they had the bulk of the possession. In the 24th minute a headed ball from Jake Hessenthaler found Smissen who shot went wide. Then in the 30th minute James Morrish sent a shot high and wide for Whitstable.  Leatherhead throughout this time looked threatening on the break. However the nil-nil score line at half time was a fair reflection of the game.

Gilman rises high to head away

Leatherhead had the first opportunity of the second half when after 52 minutes Mark Simmonds looped a shot just over the bar.  In the 57th minute Hessenthaler had an opportunity for the hosts but fired his shot wide but then 2 minutes later Bradbrock should have done better when one on one with Nick Shaw in the Whitstable goal but sent this shot over the bar. Shaw was called on after 70 minutes making a great save pushing the ball over the crossbar.

However two minutes later Leatherhead got their reward when the usually reliable Jack Pater made a mistake and the ball found its way to substitute Sam Blackman who fired home.  That was enough to gain the visitors a place in the next round of the FA Trophy.

Abel on the attack

Whitstable did have a chance in the third minute of injury time when a cross went right across the penalty area but Stuart Vahid couldn’t get on the end of it and that was the final opportunity of the game.

Team: Shaw, Hare (Heard 52mins), Parter, Hessenthaler, Harvey, Gilman, Morrish, Beecroft, Smissen (Vahid 69 mins), Abel, MacKenzie (Luchford 79mins)

Att 222