Jake Beecroft lobs over Jack Delo for opening goal

Folkestone Invicta 2 Whitstable Town 1

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Tuesday 1st January 2013

Whitstable Town came away pointless in a game they should have wrapped up in the first half as they went down two one at Folkestone Invicta.

The crowd was just settling down in the 2nd minute  as Whitstable took the lead as a Jake Beecroft cross come shot looped over Jack Delo in the Folkestone goal, who flapped at it and the ball found its way into the back of the net.  Four minutes later a shot from George Crimmen went just over the bar.  However then came three opportunities for Folkestone striker Ryan Philpott. In the 7th minute he had a speculative shot that drifted wide. Then three minutes later he turned and shot and the ball went over the bar.  He again shot wide after 17 minutes.  Whitstable then had a period where they took charge of the possession but could not capitalise on that control . After 37 minutes they had their best opportunity when Dan Hanshaw and Stuart Vahid had chances in quick succession but both fired directly at Delo.  Whitstable then had a couple of scares just before half time one right at the end of the half when Philpott has another opportunity that was deflected for a corner.

Delo saves from Buster Smissen

On the balance of play Whitstable did deserve their lead but should have built on some good moves in midfield. Interestingly Philpott was replaced at half time that one can only assume was for injury.

The second half  started in a similar vein to the first half with Scott Heard hitting a speculative shot  after 53 minutes which was gathered well by Delo.  The complexion of the game changed completely after an hour when Folkestone drew level.  A goal mouth scramble in the Whitstable penalty area and as Folkestone screamed for a penalty which was waved away Richard Atkins was on hand to slot the ball into the back of the net.  Buster Smissen did well a minute later with an header which was well saved by Delo. However Folkestone were now taking control. After 75 minutes Darren Smith sent in a free kick which was well saved by Nick Shaw in the Whitstable goal. Then came the decisive moment of the game  after 86 minutes when Smith found himself clear from a cross smashing the ball past Shaw to give Folkestone the win.

There were few more opportunities as Whitstable had lost their way and Folkestone held on easily to take all three points.

Team: Shaw, Beecroft, Brown, Everitt, Crimmen, Brunt, Heard (Ellett 86 mins), Morrish, Smissen(Delaney 80mins), Vahid, Hanshaw (Mackenzie 65 mins)