Goalkeeper James Broadbent sent the wrong way by Ashley Miller
Goalkeeper James Broadbent sent the wrong way by Ashley Miller

Eastbourne Town 0 Whitstable Town 3

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 26th April 2014

Whitstable finished their season with a convincing 3-0 victory at already relegated Eastbourne Town on Saturday afternoon.

The visitors dominated from the very start and their first chance came after three minutes when Ashley Miller pull the ball back only for Scott Heard to shoot over the bar. Six minutes later Miller was again in the action when he ran and shot but directly at Eastbourne keeper James Broadhurst. A minute later Jack Parter broke through the hosts defence to send his attempt wide. After 17 minutes Aaron Simpson crossed for Parter to hammer over the

Ashley Miller heads home Town's second
Ashley Miller heads home Town’s second

bar. After 21 minutes Miller again broke into the penalty area but his shot looped up for Broadhurst to catch. Eastbourne did find the net with their first attack when Luke Watkins saved well only for the rebound to be slammed into the net only for the goal to be ruled out for offside. Town were back on the attack when Jez Achong shot just wide of the post after 29 minutes but it was Eastbourne’s turn after 33 minutes when Liam Upton fired wide. Whitstable then took a deserved lead after 43 minutes when firstly Miller had a shot blocked but when the ball returned to the Town striker he was brought down. He then got up to send Broadhurst the wrong way.

There was little change in the balance of play in the second half however the first attack did come from the hosts as Matthew Nogaro ran in at the far post but his attempt went well wide. On 55 minutes at the other end Simpson put in a ball onto Miller who fired over. Three minutes later it was Parter’s turn to put in a cross but Heard this time put the ball over the bar. On the hour Whitstable extended their lead when Miller headed his second at the far post. The win was sealed on 79 minutes when Simpson put in a ball to substitute Matt Martin who tapped the ball in to make it 3-0. Eastbourne striker Matt Maclean had an attempt on 82 minutes but shot wide and then in injury time

Matt Martin slid home the third
Matt Martin slid home the third

Broadhurst saved well as Miller threatened to increase the lead.

It was an easy win for Town which took them to eight points clear of the relegation zone in the final table .  It is interesting that Eastbourne played their first and last game in the Ryman League against Whitstable as they will be in the Sussex League next season.

Team: Watkins, Simpson, Parter, Guest, Harvey, Kane, Heard, Hafner (Taylor 80mins), Achong (Martin 68mins), Miller, Macguire (Keyte 73mins)