Ollie Gray gets stuck in
Ollie Gray gets stuck in

Burgess Hill Town 5 Whitstable Town 0

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 18th April 2015

Whitstable were unable to gatecrash Burgess Hill Town’s Championship party as they were hammered 5-0 on Saturday afternoon.

Burgess Hill looked the more positive side throughout the first half and had their first opportunity on 18 minutes when Pat Harding picked up the ball on the right hand side and shot across the Whitstable goalmouth. Soon after, a Callum Saunders cross found Will Miles who headed just wide.  The

Scott's attempt goes wide
Scott’s attempt goes wide

visitors had to wait until the 24th minutes before creating their first opening. Ian Pulman tried to get on the end of a through ball but was just beaten by Hillian keeper Josh James. With half an hour gone another Whitstable attack saw Scott Heard put Pulman in but the striker pushed the ball wide. On 39 minutes Luke Girt found himself through but spooned the ball over the bar. Burgess Hill got their reward for their dominant possession on 43 minutes when the ball was headed across the penalty area and found Sam Fisk who also used his head to fire home.

The Champions seemed fired up by their half time lead and should have increased their advantage a minute into the half when firstly Lee Harding forced a save by Luke Watkins and then Callum Saunders managed to loop a header over the bar from only

Nick Treadwell clears his lines
Nick Treadwell clears his lines

a yard out. However the hosts were not to be denied and went further ahead on 50 minutes when a fantastic finish from Darren Budd saw him hit the ball from the edge of the penalty area giving Watkins no chance. Lee Harding then broke free but Watkins had to be at his best to block. Whitstable had an opportunity to narrow the gap on 62 minutes but Kane Rowland, off balance, fired wide. On 70 minutes Burgess Hill got their third when a another great finish saw Saunders hammer the ball home. With four minutes of normal time remaining Graham Martin made it four nil slotting home from close range. Apart from a Joe Kane shot that was fired over, Town were creating little and their misery was complete a minute into injury time when Dan Perry picked up a loose ball to fire home.

It was a disappointing performance from Whitstable as they were beaten by the champions whose finishing was sharp and showed why they have won the title.

Team: Watkins, Gray (Wedgeworth 50mins), Mackenzie, Kane, Doherty, Treadwell, Heard, Girt, Pulman, Rowland (Callender 72mins), Loynes (James 50 mins)