Town Ease Through In FA Cup

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round
Saturday August 6 15.00

Whitstable eased into the next round of the FA Cup with a comfortable victory against Oakwood FC of the Southern Combination Football League Division One. Two early goals for Nick Treadwell put the home side in control, but despite a number of chances the crowd of 164 had to wait until late in the second half before Charlie Smith and Ollie Lee added further goals. Dan Eason had to make a couple of good saves, but the visitors never really looked likely to cause an upset.

Eastbourne Town won 2-0 at Raynes Park Vale, so will be our opponents in the next round on Saturday 20 August, again at the Belmont.

With Craig Thompson serving the first of a three match ban carried over from last season, Newman Poku started up front supported by new signing Darren Marsden and Charlie Smith. It was the visitors that started brightly however with most of the possession in the early moments, until in the 4th minute a Scott Punton long ball aimed at Marsden in the box was headed out. From the resulting Callum Wraight corner, a training ground set piece saw the ball helped on to Nick Treadwell at the far post and he put Whitstable ahead with a good finish.

Nick Treadwell scores the first
Nick Treadwell scores the first

From the restart Jack McNab headed a cross over the bar as Oakwood tried to respond quickly. Marsden then found himself in space following a misplaced clearance by Aiden Cawte, but his shot was wide. After 13 minutes though Town were two up, as Poku collected the ball on the right edge of the penalty area and did well to find a cross which reached Treadwell around twelve yards out and he had time to control the ball and place his shot into the far corner. In the 23rd minute a through ball fell to Smith, whose initial attempt was well saved by keeper Brendan Milborrow and as the ball came back out to him, he couldn’t get enough on his shot to beat the defender on the line. Whitstable were mainly in control for the rest of the half, with Dan Eason rarely troubled. There were chances to score a third, with Marsden, Poku, Lee and Treadwell all getting in to good positions without being able to find the net. Half time came on a very warm afternoon with the score 2-0.

Treadwell gets his second
Treadwell gets his second

Wraight had to be replaced by Reiss Crimmen at half time due to injury. The Oakwood captain Clive Piller struck a good free kick which was punched clear by Eason. At the other end some interplay between Marsden and Poku ended with Marsden shooting just wide. Then Jamie Collado lifted his attempt over the bar after some good play by Lee Winfield and Smith. A Crimmen cross found Smith in a good position, but his header missed the target, before Marsden had another effort blocked.

Around the 70 minute mark, Oakwood had a spell when they might have got back into the game as Piller and then substitute Scott Faber both shot straight at Eason. Then another Piller free kick brought a good save from Eason, with the follow up attempt also being blocked. In the 78th minute though the game was settled as a great through ball by Winfield picked out Smith who took the ball around Milborrow and rolled it into the net for his third goal in consecutive games.

Charlie Smith gets the third
Charlie Smith gets the third

Poku and Treadwell then had good chances to add the fourth before Ollie Lee won a couple of challenges in the box and slid the ball across from a narrow angle and it appeared to be deflected into the net in the 88th minute. The last action in stoppage time saw Piller find Faber after making a good run, but his shot was saved by Eason.

Ollie Lee's effort is deflected in
Ollie Lee’s effort is deflected in

It was a promising start to the season with a 4-0 win, some welcome prize money banked and a home tie to look forward to in two weeks’ time. Lee Winfield picked up the man of the match award, as selected by some of the supporters.

Whitstable Town
Dan Eason (c), Scott Punton, Callum Wraight (Reiss Crimmen 45), Ollie Lee, Joe Kennett, Lee Winfield (Ollie Brown 80), Nick Treadwell, Jamie Collado, Newman Poku, Darren Marsden (Toby Heydon 77), Charlie Smith.
Subs (unused): Grant McIlheron, Liam Newton, Harry Brooks, Charlie Manning.
Goals: Nick Treadwell 4 & 13, Charlie Smith 78, Ollie Lee 88.
Yellow cards: Joe Kennett 62, Charlie Smith 73.

Brendan Milborrow, Mohamed Shuga’a, Aiden Cawte (S Gallagher 20), Charlie Leach, Gerald Manville, Jack Nourse, Clive Piller (c), Toby Gilbert, Jack McNab (Scott Faber 65), Kieron Purkis, Lee Wragg (Ryan Murphy 54).
Subs (unused): Jo Clarke, Grant Miller.
Yellow card: Toby Gilbert 40

Attendance: 164
Referee: David Harrison
Assistants: Michael Wright & Nicholas Hodges