Peter Huggens finds the net but attempt is ruled out for off side
Peter Huggens finds the net but attempt is ruled out for off side

Tunbridge Wells 0 Whitstable Town 0

FA Cup sponsored by Budweiser Preliminary Round

Saturday 31st August 2013

Replay on Tuesday 3rd September 2013

Whitstable Town came away from Southern Counties (East) league leaders Tunbridge Wells with a nil-nil draw in their FA Cup Preliminary round tie on Saturday.

The game started with both sides taking their time to settle down. The first chance came in the ninth minute when Peter Huggens sent in a shot that went wide of the target.  Huggens did have the ball in the back of the net after 22 minutes from a header but the goal was ruled out for offside. Both side continued to threaten but did not create any meaningful chances until the 35th

Luke Watkins saves penalty
Luke Watkins saves penalty

minute when Brett Ince drove a free kick wide of the Whitstable goal. The game was now picking up pace and two minutes later John Guest had a header blocked and cleared away.  The Wells then created an opportunity with Sean Johnson hitting the post in the 38th minute. The goal would not have counted as the linesman was flagging for offside.  The last chance of the half came for Scott Heard whose free kick went well over the bar. The score line of nil-nil was a fair reflection of the half.

The hosts seemed to go up a gear at the start of the second half and Jack Harris had their first chance after 50 minutes but could not get his shot away and the ball was easily saved by Luke Watkins. Then a minute later a controversial decision by the referee as he adjudged John Guest to have pulled back a Tunbridge Wells striker. The referee pointed to the spot and up stepped Joe Fuller who sent the ball to Watkins left. The hero from the previous game against Herne Bay was able to get down to push the ball wide of the post and away. On

Adam Hooper's attempt goes wide
Adam Hooper’s attempt goes wide

the hour Heard had another free kick but again sent the ball over the bar. Fifteen minutes later Adam Hooper had a shot which went tamely wide. Josh Stanford then had a chance for the Wells but his shot went straight at Watkins who saved. On 81 minutes Harris broke free in the penalty area but held onto the ball a little too long and sent his shot over the bar. A minute later at the other end Whitstable striker Charlie Smith broke free but was unable to get any power in his shot and the ball was easily gathered by Chris Oladogba in the Wells goal.  A couple more chances for Town fell to Heard. Firstly two minutes from time Hooper hit a free kick into the wall and the rebound came to Heard who shot over the bar and then a minute from time Heard broke down the right and shot wide across the face of the goal.

In the end both sides had to settle for a replay at the Belmont on Tuesday evening.

Team: Watkins, Maguire, Hooper, Wells D (Cobb 86mins), Guest, Cook, Heard, Morrish, Harvey (Smith C  70mins), Wells J (MacKenzie 55mins), Huggens