Kieron Campbell slams home first goal
Kieron Campbell slams home first goal

Erith & Belvedere 0 Whitstable Town 3

Martin Tarrant Memorial Trophy

Saturday 25th July 2015

Whitstable Town eventually ran out comfortable winners in an entertaining game away at Erith and Belvedere in the Martin Tarrant Memorial Trophy on Saturday afternoon.

However it was the hosts who created the first opportunities as firstly Luke May hit a long range shot high and wide and then Chris Hubbard also shot over the bar all in the first six minutes. Whitstable had to wait until the seventh minute when

Ira Jackson increases Whitstable's lead
Ira Jackson increases Whitstable’s lead

Ira Jackson fed the ball to new signing Chris Seenan whose attempt was cleared off the line . The Deres had their brightest period of the game as firstly Jamie Taylor blasted over from the middle of the penalty area and then Alfie May had a shot well blocked well by Whitstable keeper Adam Highstead.  On 24 minutes Brendan Cass got on the end of a Alfie May but his shot smashed into the post and away. As the half progressed, Whitstable came more into the game and it was Scott Heard who hit a low drive from 25 yards but Erith keeper Dean Nash saved easily. However it was a wonder goal from Kieron Campbell who gave the Town the lead as after 37 minutes as he surged in

Luke Doherty seels victory
Luke Doherty seels victory

from the left to rifle the ball into the net from a narrow angle. This seemed to drive Town on and Campbell was involved in the next move as he found Sam Bewick whose attempt was cleared away for a corner.

The positive end to the first half carried on into the second as Town dominated play and on 51 minutes Jackson increased their lead as he turned on the ball and fired through a crowd of players to beat Nash. Bewick had the next attempt as he hit a dipping long range shot just over the bar and then curled a shot just wide of the right hand post. On 65 minutes it was Ryan Perkins who tested Nash as he hit a free kick from thirty yards. Town continued to control the game and Campbell was next to have an attempt blocked  but Charlie Smith could not quite get enough on the rebound to threaten the Erith goal.  The hosts did create a couple of opportunities as on 77 minutes Jamie Wood a shot deflected wide. With five minutes to go the ever dangerous Jackson curled a shot that was tipped over by the Deres substitute keeper George Kamurasi. However Town were not to be denied and with four minutes to go,  Luke Doherty met a corner from Perkins. His glancing header flew into the net to seal Whitstable’s victory.  Highstead denied Deres a consolation as he held on to a close range shot from Thomas Youngs.

Town’s well deserved win gave plenty of encouragement to the travelling supporters who enjoyed their first pre season victory.

PS New signing Chris Seenan who left the field injured has not broken his arm as first feared but a hospital check has indicated soft tissue damage (which is great news)