Adam Hooper's shot goes wide
Adam Hooper’s shot goes wide

Faversham Town 0 Whitstable Town 0

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Tuesday 24th September 2013

In the end Whitstable came home with a point in a highly entertaining local derby as the drew nil-nil with Faversham Town on Tuesday evening.

The game, which was played at high pace all evening, started with Whitstable on the attack. Scott Heard broke down the right after five minutes and unleashed a shot that went over the bar. Three minutes later Adam Hooper broke free and found himself one on one with stand in keeper James Peacock. His shot beat the goalkeeper but also went wide. After twelve minutes Faversham had their first attack when Wayne Wilson shot but the ball was well saved by Luke Watkins. The game then settled down with limited chances as both sides engaged in a midfield battle. After 22 minutes Heard crossed from the right but Charlie Smith could not get any power on in his header and the ball was collected by Peacock. Then came a golden opportunity after 39 minutes when Hooper was pulled down by Ashley Brown in the

James Peacock saves from penalty spot
James Peacock saves from penalty spot

Faversham penalty area. Up stepped Steve Hafner but his well struck penalty was brilliantly saved by Peacock’s to his right and the chance had gone a begging. Faversham then nearly capitalised on their keepers heroics as a melee in the Whitstable area eventually led to a shot by Brendon Cass but his attempt went wide. One more Faversham  chance in the half as Wilson had a speculative shot after 43 minutes which went well over. The balance of play indicated that the scoreless first half was a fair reflection of the action in the first period.

The second half started in a similar vein to the first  with Jack Simon having the first opportunity after 49 minutes but his powerful shot went straight into Peacock’s arms. Then after 59 minutes Faversham sent in a cross ball that looked goal bound but was well saved by Watkins. On 70 minutes Faversham had their best chance of the game as Luke Harvey hit a shot that was saved by a combination of Watkins arms and John Guest on the line and the rebound went to Renford Tenyue whose shot was again cleared off the line by Joe Kane. Whitstable continued to have opportunities and on 71 minutes Simon had another shot saved by Peacock. On 75 minutes at the other end Tenyue had an attempt blocked by Watkins. The final real chance came to Whitstable with nine minutes to go when Joe Kane got on the end of a cross and his bullet header rattled the cross bar. Both teams continued to attack and counter attack  for the remainder of the game.

Joe Kane's header hits bar
Joe Kane’s header hits bar

As the final whistle both sides had deserved something out of this entertaining scoreless draw.

Team: Watkins, Kane, Maguire (Harvey 68 mins), Hafner, Guest, Huggens, Heard, Keyte (Morrish 60 mins), Smith C (Wells J 75mins), Simon, Hooper