James Morrish has Town's first attack
James Morrish has Town’s first attack

Folkestone Invicta 1 Whitstable Town 0

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 12th October 2013

Whitstable Town returned pointless from Folkestone Invicta on Saturday in a game that was dominated by the two defences.

The opportunities in the first half were very limited as both sides found it difficult to break down the opposition but all the real chances came for the hosts. Firstly, ex Whitstable midfielder Michael Yianni hit a long range effort after five minutes over the bar. Three minutes later the ever dangerous Johan Ter Horst broke free and was one on one with Luke Watkins who was caught in two minds but his effort looped over the bar.  On 15 minutes Phil Stevenson shot straight at Watkins from 25 yards and the keeper made an easy save.  There were no more chances until a minute before half time when Micheal Everitt hit a header wide from a corner. Whilst all the chances came at one end neither side really deserved the lead at the break.

Folkestone take the lead
Folkestone take the lead

The second half started with a little more invention particularly from Invicta who had a chance a minute into the period when a ball came across from the left but Ter Horst could not get on the end of it to divert it goal wards. A minute later Yianni fired wide and on 52 minutes Everitt hit a long range shot straight at Watkins. Town eventually had their first attempt on the hour when Morrish moved onto  a high ball but could not head it over Tim Roberts in the Invicta goal. A minute later Folkestone got the goal that turned out to be their winner when Stevenson got on the end of a cross and nodded the ball into the net from short range. On 65 minutes Morrish got on the end of a cross but was adjudged to have pushed a defender.  A minute later Town seemed to be slowly waking up as Craig Thompson shot wide from 25 yards. On 69 minutes substitute Charlie Smith got on the end of a cross but his looped header was tipped over by Roberts. After 72 minutes Folkestone were back on the attack when a ball from Ter Horst found Simon Austin who scooped the ball over the bar from ten yards. With 15 minutes to go Ter Horst found himself free but his attempt was well saved by Watkins. Town

Charlie Smith on the attack
Charlie Smith on the attack

were now looking more dangerous but still were not creating clear cut opportunities and Watkins had to be on his guard after 81 minutes when he saved from Dane Luchford and Stevenson cut in after 83 minutes but shot straight at the Town keeper. With four minutes left Smith came in on the far post but could not quite get on the end of the cross to get a shot in on target.  As the game went into injury time there were two more chances-one at either end. Firstly Town could not make the most of a melee in the Folkestone penalty area and then at the other end a save by Watkins at point blank range saved a second goal.

It was a case of too little too late for Town as the final whistle signalled the defeat.

Team: Watkins, Wells (Smith C 67mins), Maguire(Webb 62 mins), Hafner, Harvey, Huggens, Heard, Morrish, Thompson, Baverstock (Simon 53mins), Hooper.