Joe Kane rifles a bullet to give Town the lead
Joe Kane rifles a bullet to give Town the lead

Crawley Down Gatwick 0 Whitstable Town 2

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Tuesday 15th April 2014

Whitstable picked up three vital points in a professional performance to condemn Crawley Down Gatwick to relegation on Tuesday evening.

The game started with three early attacks for Town in as many minutes as firstly John Guest headed past the post after a minute. Another 60 seconds and Steve Hafner sent a shot from just outside the area wide of the post and then after three minutes Scott Heard sent in a cross that Laurence Harvey headed wide. Crawley Down Gatwick midfielder Karl Akehurst had their first opportunity when he hit a free kick after a quarter of an hour which bounced on the bumpy surface but Luke Watkins was able to push the ball around the post.

Was it a penalty ?
Was it a penalty ?

A minute later Tom Groves had another chance for the hosts but he headed this time straight at Watkins. Ashley Miller got in on the action when he found himself one on one with the hosts keeper Zane Campbell-Rose who blocked well. A couple of chances then came for Charlie Smith as after 20 minutes on a run he fired his shot well wide and then two minutes later he shot again only for Campbell-Rose to save. The Crawley Down keeper was then on hand to save well from a  Laurence Harvey header  after 40 minutes when  he tipped the ball over the bar. Town finally took the lead with a screamer after 42 minutes. Heard put in a corner to the far post and Joe Kane on the volley rifled the ball into the back of the net. Just on half time Crawley Down  were reduced to ten men when Alex Addai was sent off for violent conduct .


Town had control from the start of the second half. After 47 minutes Heard hit a shot over the bar and then seven minutes later Jack Parter weaved his way into the penalty area but his shot cannoned away off the upright. There were a couple of scares for the visitors. Akehurst found himself one on one with Watkins but the Town keeper was able to clear his lines. Town however continued to have the lion’s share of the chances. After 72 minutes Town had an appeal for a penalty turned down as Miller appeared to be brought down in the penalty area and then three minutes later Guest had a shot saved at point blank range by the young Crawley Down keeper. Town sealed the three points on 77 minutes when Parter put in a cross deep into the hosts penalty area to find Miller who fired home a header at the far post. There was one more scare for Town with four minutes to go when Akehurst crept in on the near post but the ball was blocked the Watkins.

Ashley Miller heads in second

Town played out the remaining time to gain an invaluable win as they moved up the table into 18th place.


Team: Watkins, Kane, Parter, Hafner (Simpson 66mins), Harvey, Guest, Heard, Keyte, Smith C (Lester 82mins), Miller, Murray (Taylor 80mins)