Stalemate At Sunny Belmont

Pre-season friendly
Saturday July 23 15.00

There were no goals on a sunny, warm afternoon at the Belmont. Whitstable started with quite a different side, having eight players that took part in the previous two friendlies unavailable. Manager Scott Porter was also absent, so assistant Bob Reardon took charge. Faversham fielded a relatively experienced Ryman League squad that contained ex Oysters Sam Bewick, Dean Grant, Ryan Cheek and Kieron Campbell.

Jason on the ball
Jason on the ball

An early Faversham free kick was lofted over the bar by Grant and then Charley Robertson struck a powerful shot that was pushed away for a corner by Dan Eason. At the other end Charlie Smith was fouled and hit a low free kick that was deflected in the box, but the Faversham defence managed to clear the danger. A long throw by Reiss Crimmen then fell to Liam Newton who put his shot wide. Whitstable had a good spell of possession midway through the first half with Lee Winfield, Harris Rodgers, Newton and Smith all moving the ball around well. This led to some pressure on the visitors’ defence and several corners, but no clear cut chances. On 28 minutes, a Faversham cross was cleared to Robertson, who looked the main threat for the away side, but his low shot across the goal struck the outside of the post. A minute later a Faversham corner came out to Josh Stanford, whose well struck effort was beaten away by Eason.

Charlie Smith
Charlie Smith

As half time approached Rodgers made a good run down the left but his cross was just too high for Smith, whilst at the other end Robertson played a 1-2 with Liam King before shooting wide.

After the interval Grant was involved in a couple of early Faversham attacks that were cleared. Whitstable then won a couple of corners, but from the second Renford Tenyue picked up the ball and Faversham had four on one as they broke quickly. He played the ball to Liam King, who shot over the bar. On 60 minutes Faversham changed half their side and shortly afterwards Crimmen played a good ball forward to Smith, who was penalised for pulling the defenders shorts down!

Late Whitstable pressure
Late Whitstable pressure

Grant then blazed another free kick high over the bar and sub Kieran Oliver put a good chance wide. Whitstable had a couple of late chances: a cross was headed over the bar and then Smith and subs Brendon Cass and Newman Poku all had efforts blocked during a spell of pressure in the box. There was a late corner for the visitors, but the game ended without a goal.

It was a promising performance from a much changed Whitstable side, who played quite well at times. Faversham did have the better chances, but will be hoping for some more accurate finishing when their Ryman League campaign starts.

Whitstable Town
Dan Eason, Ollie Brown, Reiss Crimmen, Ollie Lee, Joe Kennett, Liam Newton, Lee Winfield, Charlie Manning, Charlie Smith, Harris Rodgers, Toby Heydon.
Subs: Jason Fregene, Harry Brooks, Newman Poku, Brendon Cass, Dean Ruddy.

Faversham Town
Will Godman, Sam Bewick, Renford Tenyue, Bola Dawodu, Matt Bourne, John Scarborough, Charley Robertson, Nigel Rothe, Dean Grant, Liam King, Josh Stanford.
Subs: Ryan Cheek, Dan Carrington, Will Thomas, George Monger, Steve Ratcliffe, Kieran Oliver, Jamie Maxted, Kieron Campbell.

Attendance: 121
Referee: Dan Bonneywell
Assistants: Michael Chard & Ryan Chantril-Smith