Reserves Win Their Second Game

Pre-season friendly
Saturday August 3 2019 15.00

The Reserves made it two wins from two games in their pre-season schedule with an outstanding and professional win away to tricky opponents in Woodnesborough. The reserves were very stretched with their squad today, having only fifteen players available, with a few key players away and Muhammed Cham and Owen Fitt again with the first team. The starting eleven included player manager Josh Algar and the team started how they meant to continue, controlling the game early on and keeping possession very nicely. Whitstable started moving the ball around at a good tempo, creating early chances and they managed to grab their first goal through Max Leach, when the ball was played into feet by Charlie Vass and Max turned and fired it into the bottom corner for a well worked goal. The second goal soon came with a superb delivery from a free kick by captain Kyle Wisker that led to an own goal. At this stage Whitstable looked comfortable defensively and in possession with experienced goalkeeper Ryan Birch managing the back four, keeping them disciplined and organised. The midfield three of Josh Algar, Kyle Wisker and Charlie Vass were controlling the game with lots of good combinations hurting the Woodnesborough back four. Whitstable soon grabbed a third and what a goal it was. It started from the half way line with great one and two touch football as seven Whitstable players touched the ball and Josh Algar played in right back Callum Tydeman, who slotted calmly into the bottom corner for his second goal in two games. The assistant manager on the side line, Ian Grieves, was enjoying himself with the team playing so well. A fourth goal came on the 30 minute mark with a  good move down the right hand side and a good cross from Kyle Wisker that was finished off by Max Leach for his second goal of the game. Whitstable were in total control with Woodnesborough unable to cope with their attacking force. Woodnesborough though nearly caught Whitstable out through a lack of concentration, but a well stretched finger-tip save by Ryan Birch kept the score 4-0 at half time.

The second half started with a number of changes, as expected. Two academy players came on, Bailey Collin and 16 year old Mike Budu, who is a very exciting winger with lots of pace and trickery. Whitstable were slow out of the blocks and went through a 5-10 minute spell lacking their fluent football. The game soon settled down and Whitstable were back in control. The winger Mike Budu on the right hand side was causing lots of problems for the Woodnesborough back four, who were struggling to deal with his pace and directness. A good pass and move down the left hand side from academy graduate Callum Mason and Bailey Collin led to a dangerous well whipped in cross from Mason but Mike Budu just headed wide. With Woodnesborough tiring the game became open for Whitstable with lots of space and time for the players. A fifth goal arrived when a through ball from Josh Algar was finished off by Bailey Collin into the bottom corner. The game was virtually over with Woodnesborough frustrated by the strong presence of the two centre backs Jack Sutton and Luke Barrass, who looked assured throughout the game.

It was another pleasing and excellent performance from this exciting young reserves side who are making a real statement. With more academy players featuring including two 16 year olds, Jack Scott and Mike Budu, the future looks very bright. They look forward to a tough encounter away to Thanet United next Saturday at 5.30pm.

Starting line-up:
Ryan Birch, Callum Tydeman, Jack Sutton, Luke Barrass, Callum Mason, Kyle Wisker (Captain), Charlie Vass, Josh Algar, Max Leach, Peter Sharpless, Keegan Wickham.

Subs all used:
Bailey Collin, Jack Scott, Mike Budu, Billy Shearer.