Whitstable Town Reserves 3 Chatham Town Reserves 3

Hurlimann  Kent League Division One

Saturday 10th November 2012

This match was a game with many friends on both sides with everyone knowing everyone but the Chatham side looking a much older experienced side. The Belmont pitch looked almost unplayable with the continuous rain. The game started with Town on the offensive right from the start, turning the Chatham defence almost with every attack. Chatham defended well for the first 20 minutes. Town then had a corner from which they opened the score with a great header from one of the centre backs.

Town had to be careful that the long direct ball from Chatham had to be watched and was being continuously used. Town then scored their second with a rebound off the goalkeeper   falling to a town forward who rounded the goalie to score. Town looked like they were going in at half time with a two goal cushion when another long punt up front was not dealt with by the Town sentre back who slipped and the Chatham forward went on to score.

2-1 at Half-Time.

Chatham came out for the second half renewed by scoring against Whitstable with the continuous long ball running through to the town goalkeeper almost all the time. Town still had quite a few decent efforts on goal but to no avail. Chatham then crossed from the right with a good header being  well saved by the town goalie only for the ball to drop at the Chatham forward to fire the ball into the bottom corner ,

The last twenty minutes were almost a constant onslaught on the Chatham goal withTown hitting the post and save after save being made by the “Chats” goalkeeper. Town scored again when the ball was driven across the box, for a town forward to score. At this stage Town should have shut up shop but still continued to attack and paid the price when a cross from the left, with four town players swinging at a clearance, the ball dropped to a Chatham player whose shot ended in the top corner. The ball went back to the spot and Town tapped the ball back as the referee blew final whistle

Graham Parker Town’s  coach said ;  “Although we drew the game we still played it correctly by trying to pass. Our opponents chose the long ball and  if that works for you it works. We must take the compliments that Chatham showed us with scenes of upmost joy at the final Whistle. Their whole team were hugging and cheering each other at getting a draw against us which again was a great compliment. It was two defensive errors and a slip and the pitch that played a big part today in us drawing this game.  We now move on to taking a very young team to Margate to play in the floodlight trophy.