Replay Needed After Vase Draw

WHITSTABLE TOWN 2 CHICHESTER CITY 2 (After Extra Time – Score after 90 minutes 1-1)
Buildbase FA Vase First Round Qualifying
Saturday September 10 2016 15.00

Whitstable face a Tuesday evening trip to Chichester after the two sides could not be separated despite playing extra time. After a dull first half the game improved after the break with Chichester taking the lead on 56 minutes and this looked like it might be decisive until Kane Rowland equalised in stoppage time. Whitstable looked more likely to find a winner in extra time, but fell behind again to a good header from a free kick. Rowland ensured a replay with a good finish just before the end of the first period.

New signings Rob Gillman and Connor Hood started in defence for Whitstable, whilst striker Ian Pulman was ineligible to play in the game. The home side had a fair amount of possession in the first half, but failed to create many good openings. Chichester’s Scott Jones headed an early chance over the bar and then shot wide of the far post from a good position on the right side of the box in the 25th minute. Just before half time an Ellis Martin free kick from just inside the Whitstable half was met by Jones, but his header was well saved by Dan Eason.

Whitstable had to bring on Grant McIlheron in place of Harry Brown for the second half and he played well alongside Gillman in the centre of defence with Ollie Lee moving to left back. Whitstable started to look more threatening and won an early corner, then Michael Yianni had a couple of efforts that were comfortably saved by Max Whittingham before a mistake by Chichester’s Jack Lee allowed Rowland through on goal but his shot lacked power and was easily saved. A good turn and cross by Darren Marsden was volleyed over by Yianni. The visitors won a corner in the 56th minute and as Whitstable failed to clear the danger the ball was fired low past Eason by Josh Clack.

Craig Thompson was replaced by Harris Rodgers after 72 minutes and his running began to cause some different problems for the Chichester defence. Nick Treadwell almost connected with a diving header, but the ball was cleared for a corner and Rowland headed a Hood cross just wide. Rodgers won a free kick by the corner flag and when the ball came into the box McIlheron shot just over. In the first minute of stoppage time Rodgers got into the box, crossed and Rowland was on hand to score from close range to force extra time.

Kane Rowland scores the first
Kane Rowland scores the first

Almost immediately substitute Brendon Cass set up Rodgers, but his shot was wide. In the 97th minute a well taken free kick by Ellis Martin was headed back across the goal and into the far corner by Lee to restore Chichester’s lead. A minute later a Jake Gale effort was pushed up on to the bar by Eason and although the rebound was fired into the net it was ruled offside. Just before the interval, Cass headed the ball into the path of Rowland who took it on and lifted it over Whittingham for his second.

Rowland's chip beats Whittingham for the second
Rowland’s chip beats Whittingham for the second

Tiredness became a factor in the last fifteen minutes, although Cass, Marsden and Rowland all had chances but could not find the target as Whitstable pressed for the winner.

Brendon Cass has a great chance for a late winner...
Brendon Cass has a great chance for a late winner…
The keeper's beaten, but it's wide!
The keeper’s beaten, but it’s wide!

The game ended 2-2, which was probably fair over the 120 minutes, so a trip to Chichester awaits on Tuesday.

Whitstable Town
Dan Eason (c), Connor Hood, Harry Brown (Grant McIlheron 45), Ollie Lee, Rob Gillman, Lee Winfield (Brendon Cass 83), Nick Treadwell, Michael Yianni, Craig Thompson (Harris Rodgers 72), Darren Marsden, Kane Rowland.
Subs (unused): Charlie Smith, Harry Brooks.
Goals: Kane Rowland 90+1, 105.
Yellow cards: Craig Thompson 68, Nick Treadwell 109.

Chichester City
Max Whittingham, Alex Collard (Jake Gale 94), Ellis Martin, Josh Case, Jack Lee (c), Jamie Horncastle, Josh Clack, Omar Barry (Chris Hooker 55), Scott Jones, Max Thoms, Kieran Hartley (Ben Pashley 73).
Sub (unused): Perry Northeast.
Goals: Josh Clack 56, Jack Lee 97.
Yellow card: Max Thoms 29.

Attendance: 135
Referee: Orville Bentley
Assistants: John Quirke & Paul Yates