Deal Keeper tips over Ryan Perkins' corner
Deal Keeper tips over Ryan Perkins’ corner

Deal Town 1 Whitstable Town 1

Pre Season Fixture

Tuesday 21st July 2015

A  last gasp equaliser from Ryan Perkins gave Whitstable a well deserved 1-1 draw at Deal Town on Tuesday evening.

The first opportunity came for Deal on four minutes after ex Whitstable striker Connor Coyne had a shot deflected wide.  Three minutes later at the other end, Perkins had a curling corner that was just

Ben Kitcherside makes a great save
Ben Kitcherside makes a great save

tapped over by the Deal keeper. Within 60 seconds Nick Treadwell had a close range shot deflected wide. Deal had their best chance when they broke free but the attempt went wide.  Whitstable then started to get their passing game together and created a number of chances. Firstly Ira Jackson has a shot that spooned over the bar and then Joe Kennett was unlucky to have a shot deflected over the bar. The Deal keeper then had to be at his best to deflect a Joe Kennett shot  over the bar. However the last two chances of the half fell to Deal as they shot just wide of the target after 32 minutes and then Coyne hooked a shot wide of the target three minutes before the break.

Ryan Perkins fires home equaliser
Ryan Perkins fires home equaliser

The second half started with Whitstable looking positive and the first chance fell to Jackson who ran and shot over the bar after 58 minutes. At this stage of the game Whitstable were on top but it was the hosts who were to break the deadlock against the run of play after 64 minutes when Charlie Walsh forced the ball over the line as the Whitstable defence failed to clear the ball. Whitstable continued to press. On 69 minutes Kennett headed wide on the far post and then on 78 minutes Brad Webb put in a ball to Kane Rowland whose attempt was cleared off the line. With four minutes to go Sam Callender shot wide. Within a minute Deal nearly sealed the game but Whitstable keeper Ben Kitcherside was at fall stretch to push the ball around the post. As the game moved into injury time Whitstable pressed and the ball fell to Perkins who fired the ball into the net to the relief of the Whitstable travelling contingent.

There were a number of positives that came out of the game to take into the next games as Whitstable continue their build up towards the new season.