Darren Ibrahim beaten by Charlie Smith shot
Darren Ibrahim beaten by Charlie Smith shot

Whitstable Town 2 Leatherhead 3

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Thursday 3rd April 2014

Whitstable Town were robbed of a point by a last gasp winner for second placed Leatherhead on Thursday evening.Town could have found themselves one down after just two minutes when Ian Draycott hit a shot that rattled the upright and went away. After eight minutes ex Sittingbourne and Margate striker Tom Bradbrook had the Tanners second opportunity when he headed straight at Luke Watkins in the Town goal. Town were slowly getting into their stride with Beau Taylor having their first chance on ten minutes when he hit a speculative shot well

Macauley Murray free kickk sails into the net
Macauley Murray free kick sails into the net

over the bar. Then after eleven minutes Charlie Smith gave Town the lead when he surged into the penalty area to put the ball past Darren Ibrahim. The lead only lasted seven minutes when Tom Parkinson delivered a cross to the near post and Draycott was on hand to head in. The next opportunity came from Town on the half hour as Charlie Smith hit a shot on the turn that went over the bar. On 38 minutes Draycott was in the action again when he hooked the ball wide of the target. Leatherhead had a golden opportunity on half time then Bradbrook found himself one on one with Watkins but the Tanners striker made a hash of the chance as his attempt went wide.

The second half found Leatherhead taking the lead on 51 minutes when Richard Avery fired home. Leatherhead continued to press as Darren Smith hit a shot high and wide after 57 minutes. Then after 72 minutes Town were level when Macauley Murray took a free kick quick from the edge of the area as Ibrahom

Curtis George nearly turns in Miller cross
Curtis George nearly turns in Miller cross

was still organising his defensive wall and ball sailed into the corner of the net. After 75 minutes the ever dangerous Ashley Miller cut the ball across the goal mouth but nobody could quite get on the end of it. Both teams had opportunities in the last quarter of an hour. Darren Smith hit a shot over the bar and then Theo Fairweather-Johnson hit a long range attempt again over the bar. Then with the game seemingly heading for a draw in the third minute of injury time Kevin Terry was on hand to send the ball past Watkins to give Leatherhead the points.

Town had fought hard and were unlucky not to get the point and now have the daunting task of visiting the league leader on Saturday.   

Team: Watkins, Keyte (Simpson 56mins), Hafner, Taylor, Harvey, Kane, Murray, Brown (Maguire 68mins), Smith C, Miller, Martin (George 72mins)