Whitstable Town 0 Maidstone United 2

Isthmian League Cup 3rd Round

Tuesday 20th November 2012

A spirited performance by Whitstable Town on Tuesday night ended in defeat in the League Cup against Maidstone United. Whitstable went into the game without the suspended Rob Gilman but with Joint Interim manager Nicky Southall returning after injury.

The crowd of 153 only had to wait two minutes for the first Town opportunity when Scott Heard got on the end of a through ball from Jake MacKenzie but he fired his shot over the bar. Maidstone had their first opportunity in the 8th minute when Joe Reeves also blasted well over the bar. Four minutes later Nicky Shaw blocked a Maidstone attack and then again on 32 minutes there was chaos in the penalty area which he blocked again and the ball was cleared away. After 39 minutes Maidstone’s ever dangerous left winger went on a great run cutting into the penalty area but was well tackled by George Crimmen to clear the ball away for a corner. Another chance for Whitstable after 41 minutes when James Morrish sent in a free kick and Laurence Harvey rose above the defence but headed over. One black spot of the first half was that Jake Beecroft limped off after 18 minutes to be replaced by Bitteng Guila.  The first half ended with both defences on top.

The second half started with league leaders beginning to get on top and after 58 minutes they were rewarded when Ade Olorunda headed home from a cross to give the Stones the lead. With all due credit to Town they did not give up and could have got on level terms four minutes later. Guila got on the end of a through ball by Morrish but was denied through a good save from Maidstone keeper Charlie Mitten. Three minutes later he had another chance from a Crimmen corner but turned the ball just passed the post.  However after 67 minutes Olorunda sealed the game when a defensive mistake left him in the clear and he walked the ball into the net.

After 75 minutes James Morris was helped off the pitch with a nasty looking injury and Town were down to 10 men as they had already made all their substitutions. Yet again Town did not lie down and Mackenzie had a header which was well held by Mitten.  Town then had two attacks in two minutes. Firstly in 84 minutes there was a scramble in the penalty area man of the match Guila hit a shot just wide. A minute later Damian Abel had another shot well saved by Mitten.

However the game came to its conclusion with Maidstone running out 2-0 winners.

Team: Shaw, Beecroft (Guilla 18mins), Crimmen, Everitt, Harvey, Heard, Southall, Morrish (Abel 75mins) , Vahid, Smissen, MacKenzie (Mukura 71 mins)

Att 153