Jake MacKenzie fires home Town's first
Jake MacKenzie fires home Town’s first

Redhill 3 Whitstable Town 3

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 10th August 2013

A late strike by Scott Heard earned Town a well deserved point on at Ryman League new boys Redhill on  Saturday afternoon.

It was an action packed afternoon with the early pressure coming from the hosts. Matt Lamprell was called on to save well from Joe Bingham after six minutes.  From the resultant corner Sam Robinson headed wide.  Another Redhill opportunity after 14 minutes when Bingham should have done better from a cross by Gavin Gordon.  A minute later Town had their first attack when the ever busy Heard fired a shot straight at Redhill keeper Andy Graves. A minute later Heard again hit a shot just over the bar and then in the 18th minute when he hit a shot from 25 yards just wide of the target.  The game continued at a pace and it was Redhill who after half an hour eventually

Charlie Smith taps home second equaliser
Charlie Smith taps home second equaliser

broke the deadlock when James Morrish was adjudged to have committed a foul in the penalty area. Richmond Kissi stepped up to send Lamprell the wrong way. The lead lasted only a minute as Jake MacKenzie got onto  a loose ball just outside the penalty area and sent a shot into the corner of the net. A minute later Morrish sent in a sharp header straight at Graves. Just as Town seemed to be settling a Redhill cross went right across the Town penalty area to find Gordon who fired into an empty net to give the hosts the lead after 34 minutes. Town continued to look dangerous as Dan Wells sent in a cross to find Laurence Harvey whose header went just over the bar.  This was three minutes before the half time break which gave Town a chance to regroup

The second half started at a similar pace to the first. The first attack of the half came four minutes in when Josh Barnett broke free for the hosts but hit his shot wide. Town first effort of the half came on 56 minutes when a melee in the Redhill penalty area was left with both Laurence Harvey and Mo Takaloo having opportunities  but they could not find a

Scott Heard's late strike earns point
Scott Heard’s late strike earns point

way past Graves.  The next period of the game saw Redhill on the attack as John Boswell fired a shot just over the bar on 59 minutes and then again on the hour Sean Kelly did the same.  Town then pressed with Heard firing over the bar in the 62nd minute and then two minutes later miss hitting a shot at the keeper.  An inspired substitution on 73 minutes brought both Jordan Wells and Charlie Smith into the action and it was the latter who made an immediate impact with virtually his first touch of the game. The ball came to Smith in front of goal and he tapped the ball into the net.  However parity only lasted three minutes as Redhill regained the lead with Kissi slotting the ball past Lamprell.  Town did not give up and their greater fitness began to tell. With five minutes to go Harvey seemed to be brought down in the penalty area however the referee controversially  waved away the penalty appeals which seemed to surprise everyone in the ground.  However Heard was to pop up with a minute left to send a shot from the edge of the penalty area into the net to

Jason Lillis & Scott Heard celebrate point
Jason Lillis & Scott Heard celebrate point

bring the scores level. Three minutes into injury time Smith could have had his second for the Town but under pressure couldn’t get his header on target. That was the last of the chances as Town picked up a deserved point in a thoroughly entertain three all draw.

Team: Lamprell, Dan Wells, Hooper, Keyte (Jordan Wells 73mins), Harvey, Cook, Heard, Morrish (Cobb 83 mins), Takaloo (Charlie Smith 73 mins), Lester, MacKenzie.