Joe Kane gets the goal
Joe Kane gets the goal

Whitstable Town 1 Worthing 0

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 28th February 2015

Whitstable Town achieved a hard earned victory against play off chasing rivals Worthing on Saturday afternoon in a 1-0 win at the Belmont.

Town had the first opportunity after four minutes when Scott Heard surged through the Worthing defence but shot wide. Worthing then had a period where they were on the front foot as after twelve minutes  a free kick from Brannon O’Neill looped the ball over Town keeper Luke Watkins but he was able to tip the ball over the

Worthing's goal under pressure
Worthing’s goal under pressure

bar. Watkins was hand to save again from the resultant corner. The pressure continued and it was Lloyd Dawes who had the next attempt on thirteen minutes when he broke through from the left but hit his shot over the bar. On 22 minute Omar Bugiel had a header well saved by Watkins but it was Whitstable who took the lead against the run of play when after 25 minutes  Peter Wedgeworth sent in a free kick from the right. The ball beat everyone and it was Joe Kane who slipped in at the far post to head home.  Town were now starting to take control but there was one more fright for them three minutes before half time when Curtis Gayler had an opportunity that went over the bar.

The first chance of the second half came to the visitors on 49 minutes when Luke Watkins was on hand to save a shot from Gayler as he fired in from the right. From then on, Whitstable pressed for a second goal as

Luke Watkins on top form
Luke Watkins on top form

in the 54th minute Jake Mackenzie hit in a deep cross that found Tom Loynes who mishit his shot wide. On the hour a reckless challenge by Lloyd Dawes saw the Worthing player see red and Worthing were down to ten men. Whitstable then created a chance on 64 minutes when Aaron James hooked a shot over the bar.  However Worthing still looked dangerous on the break and following a melee in the Town penalty area the ball was smashed onto the cross bar. As the game entered injury time Worthing had an appeal for a penalty appeal turned down and it was Whitstable who held on to take the three points.

Whitstable had managed to narrow the gap between them and the play off positions to three points in a hard working deserved win.

Team: Watkins, Mackenzie, Wedgeworth, James, Kane, Treadwell (Gray 56mins), Heard, Girt, Pulman, Rowland (Doherty 78mins), Loynes (Algar 89mins)