Scott Heard fires home

Whitstable Town 1 Chipstead 0

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 17th November 2012

Whitstable Town recovered from a traumatic week which saw the departure of manager Justin Luchford to earn a deserved one-nil win at home to Chipstead.  With Richard Langley in temporary charge with Nicky Southall supporting him the game started with the hosts having the majority of the possession but the chances were few and far apart. The first attempt on goal came after 18 minutes when Micheal Everitt sent a volley from 25 yards wide of the target.  However Chipstead had their opportunities, the first being in the 23rd minute when Rob Haworth broke free but sent a poor shot wide. Then, Chipstead defender Sean Preddie sent a speculative shot over the bar.


Rob French commanding in the air

Town had their best opportunity of the half after 30 minutes when George Crimmen sent in a searching cross which Stuart Vahid over hit and the ball went over the bar. Chipstead again had their best opportunity four minutes later when Rob French made a great save from a good shot by his namesake Bruce French. There had been a definite improvement in the first half on recent Town performances but the nil-nil score line was a fair reflection of the first half.

The hosts upped the pace in the second half and should have gone ahead after 52 minutes as Damian Abel fed a ball to Scott Heard. His cross found Jake MacKenzie who shot straight at keeper Liam Stone. However, Chipstead still created some chances and after 58 minutes Tom Jelly sliced a shot over the bar. Also, Chipstead substitute Ashley Lodge, should have done better after he was left free coming from the right hand flank but his shot went straight to French who smothered the ball.

Chance for Stuart Vahid

Then, after 77 minutes came the goal that would deservedly give Whitstable the points. Substitute Buster Smissen worked really hard to pull back a cross from the by line finding man of the match Scott Heard who fired home from close range to put Town one up.  Heard again threatened one minute later when he ran towards the Chipstead unleashing a shot that went just wide.

There were few more chances as Town held on well to take all three points.

Team: French, Beecroft, Crimmen, Everitt, Harvey, Gilman, Heard (Mukura 85mins), Morrish, Vahid (Smissen 68mins), Abel, MacKenzie.

Att 143