Worthing 0 Whitstable Town 2

Ryman League Division One (South)

Saturday 20th October 2012

On Saturday Whitstable had a combination of a little luck, a lot of grit and some solid defending to come away with three points in a two nil victory against Worthing.  The first ten minutes were fairly even with few chances. However after 12 minutes the game erupted in controversy and action. The ball found its way to James Morrish who fired a point blank range at defender Steve Metcalf. Whilst there were some comments about how Morrish should have finished the opportunity, the referee was pointing to the penalty spot. He had adjudged that Metcalf had blocked the ball with his hand and he reached in his pocket to waive the Worthing defender a red card. Some may say it was harsh but Nicky Southall stepped up to slot his penalty into the corner.

This sparked Whitstable into a period of pressure where they had a number of opportunities. In the 15th minute Buster Smissen sent in a cross from the left to find Jake Beecroft whose shot was blocked by Worthing keeper JJ Banasco-Zaizagoza.  A minute later Jack Parter produced a cross that was met by Jake MacKenzie who found the back of the net. However he was adjudged offside and the goal was cancelled out.

Then came the second controversial moment when MacKenzie burst through in the penalty area only to be brought down. The referee again pointed to the spot for what was a clear cut penalty. However the controversy continued when the Worthing keeper was pushing penalty taker Southall prior to the kick. The referee appeared to reach for his book which would have resulted in a second yellow card but seemed to change his mind and the keeper was spared.  Southall sent his penalty to the goalkeeper’s right. His out stretched hand pushed the ball away and the chance was gone. After 20 minutes Worthing had the opportunity to draw level when a defensive mix up led to a one on one opportunity with Whitstable goalkeeper Rob French blocking well and then on half time another opportunity for the home side when Scott Kirkwood sent a header over the bar.

The second half did provide Whitstable a number of chances to increase their lead. After 55 minutes a golden opportunity when Smissen put the ball into the path of Morrish but his shot went over the bar when it seemed easier to hit the target.  Worthing continued to press at times and Scott Tipper hit a shot wide after 58 minutes.

Whitstable needed a second goal to seal the points and it came after 82 minutes when a Beecroft cross found MacKenzie who slid the ball in at the far post. This was enough to ensure the three points came back to the Kent Coast.  It was a deserved victory that was hard earned but the game should have been out of Worthing’s reach long before the winning goal if chances had been converted.

Team : French, Hare, Parter, Everitt, Harvey, Guest, Southall (Abel  44mins) , Beecroft, Smissen (Sinden 87mins), Morrish, MacKenzie (Scott 88mins)