Chris Seenan brought down
Chris Seenan brought down

Whitstable Town 1 Faversham Town 1

(Faversham won 5-4 on pens)

Alan Turvey Cup 2nd Round

Tuesday 18th August 2015

Whitstable Town were edged out of the Alan Turvey Cup on Tuesday evening when they lost on penalties 5-4 to Faversham Town.

Faversham created the first chance after only 60 seconds as former Whitstable striker Joe Lester hit a close range shot which was pushed around the post by Adam Highsted. A Wayne Wilson free kick was then punched away by the Whitstable keeper. However it was Whitstable who drew the first blood when Ryan Cheek tapped the ball back to Joe Kennett who fired home on twelve minutes. On 18 minutes man of the match Kieron Campbell shot just over the bar. At the other end Lester

Joe Kennett slots home Town's goal
Joe Kennett slots home Town’s goal

had a shot from the edge of the area that went well wide. Adam Highsted was then to hold well a shot from long range by Wilson. With nine minutes to go before the break Scott Heard turned and shot just over the bar. One more chance for the visitors saw Freeman Rogers head wide from a cross.

The second half started with Faversham on the attack as Highsted did well to tip over a Wilson free kick. Chris Seenan was then to put through Heard but Faversham keeper Thomas Benham just got to the ball first to block. Town then had two chances deflected wide firstly from Chris Seenan and then Heard. Faversham drew level on 68 minutes when substitute George Monger hit a shot from outside the area into the top corner of the net to give Highsted no chance. Within a minute Campbell threatened the Faversham goal as he fired in a shot at the near post but Benham pushed the ball away and then a Sam Bewick blasted a free kick over the bar. One more chance for Whitstable on 83 minutes when Heard shot over. One sour moment in the dying s econds when Faversham striker Renford Tenyue was sent off for something he said to the referees assistant.

The game went to penalties which went the visitor’s way with Smith the unlucky man to miss as Bewick, Heard, Ira Jackson and Josh Algar hitting the

Nick Treadwell in the thick of it
Nick Treadwell in the thick of it

back of the net.

It was a disappointing result but there were a number of plus points that Whitstable need to take into the next few league games.

Team: Highsted, Bewick, Robinson, Treadwell (Jackson 81mins), Cheek, Kennett, Heard, Smith, Seenan (Algar 60 mins), Rowland (Callander 81mins), Campbell.