Southern Counties East Football League Challenge Cup – Second Round
Saturday August 19 2017 15.00

Whitstable eased through to the next round of the SCEFL Challenge Cup against Division One opponents Holmesdale at the Belmont thanks to one headed goal in each half, with Harry Goodger and Shaun Welford, on his debut, finding the net. The home team always looked the likely winners, but Dan Eason had to be alert on a couple of occasions to preserve the clean sheet.

Experienced striker Welford, who signed from Ashford United the day before the game, started on the bench. Rob Gillman and Jack West were serving the last games of their suspensions, Craig Cloke and James Morrish were not ready to return from injury and Ollie Lee and Harris Rodgers were also unavailable. Whitstable had three Browns in the starting eleven. Holmesdale were in the Southern Counties East (or previously Kent) League Premier Division while Whitstable were in the Ryman League, but the two teams had not met as they were relegated just as Whitstable returned to this division.

Home captain Tom Bryant had an early low shot saved by Jack Rankin, as Whitstable pressed forward. The Holmesdale goalkeeper also got down well to cut out a cross from Goodger, who then went down as he was challenged just inside the penalty area, but the referee was not interested. A Harry Brown free kick was glanced just wide by Goodger, who was proving a handful for the visiting defence.

Tom Bryant tries an early shot
This effort is just wide

There were a couple more half chances for Louis Sprosen and Goodger that were blocked before Holmesdale had a great opportunity to take the lead in the 17th minute, when a long throw by Lewis Chambers found John Burtonshaw unmarked in front of goal but his header clipped the top of the bar and went over. A good ball in from the right by Goodger was cleared into the path of Sprosen, whose left footed volley went wide. Sam Brown was then brought down on the edge of the box and Goodger struck the free kick powerfully, but it was turned past the post by Rankin. After a quiet period, apart from some overhead visitors from the Herne Bay air show, Whitstable scored the opening goal on 35 minutes. Carl Harrold sent in a good long cross from the right and Goodger beat Rankin to the ball, heading it over him and into the net.

Harry Goodger rises above the goalkeeper to score the first

Holmesdale did threaten on 41 minutes following a move down their right, as Victor Sodiende sent in a low cross for Chambers, but Eason was off his line quickly to cut out the danger and Whitstable ended the half with the one goal advantage.

Just after the restart, a Ricky Freeman cross rebounded up and Goodger did well to direct a header towards goal, but Rankin was able to make a save. Welford came on for his first appearance in the 50th minute, replacing Danny Williams. He almost got on the end of a ball played across the area by Freeman soon afterwards and then Sprosen ran on to a header, but was stopped in his tracks by an offside flag. The second goal soon arrived though as a Harry Brown free kick was diverted behind for a corner and from that, another Harry Brown delivery was met by the waiting head of Welford at the far post and he made no mistake to open his account for Whitstable.

Shaun Welford heads the second goal

Freeman played the ball across the box where both Welford and Goodger had efforts blocked. At the other end, a flick on by Tyrus Gordon-Young almost set up Sodiende, but he was denied by some good defending by Ashley Brown. Another tight offside decision prevented Welford getting through again, but he got on the end of another good Harrold cross a few minutes later, although his header went just over the bar. Freeman chased down a through ball and laid it back for Goodger, whose shot was blocked. Welford tried a shot from the left, but Rankin got down at the near post to save.

This Welford shot is saved

On 90 minutes a rare error by Stuart West nearly allowed Holmesdale a consolation when he under hit a back pass, but Eason was out smartly to thwart Burtonshaw. The last action was a long ball forward by Harry Brown that was chested down by Welford into the path of Charlie Smith, but his shot was saved.

The game ended 2-0, giving Whitstable a safe passage into the next round and it was also notable for the fact that no cards were shown to either side.

Whitstable Town
Dan Eason, Carl Harrold, Harry Brown, Stuart West, Ashley Brown, Tom Bryant (c), Louis Sprosen, Sam Brown (Nick Treadwell 60), Ricky Freeman, Harry Goodger (Charlie Smith 82), Danny Williams (Shaun Welford 50).
Subs (unused): Aaron Quain, George Savage.
Goals: Harry Goodger 35, Shaun Welford 56.

Jack Rankin, Jordan Clark (c), Henry Bangerter, Jamie Rawsthorne (Stephen Sage 53), Cameron Reardon, Kes Metitri (Courtney Bryan-Isaacs 75), James Teodorescu, Lewis Chambers, Tyrus Gordon-Young, John Burtonshaw, Victor Sodiende (Jack Dimmock 67).
Subs (unused): Emmanuel Olwafemi-Dasho, Kazim Bishop.

Attendance: 85
Referee: Rob Columb
Assistants: Mehdi Golchehreh & Joshua Marshall


Date Time League Season
Sat 19 Aug 2017 3:00 pm SCEFL Challenge Cup 2017-2018


The Belmont Ground
58 Grimshill Rd, Whitstable CT5 4LN, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Whitstable Town112