Velocity Trophy Second Round
Tuesday November 6 2018 19.45

Whitstable recovered from a very poor first half display against ten man Greenwich Borough to reach the Third Round of the Velocity Trophy. The visitors arrived at the Belmont with a depleted team, but caused Whitstable some early problems, forcing Dan Eason to make two early saves before taking the lead with a good finish by Phil Brown-Bampoe. Whitstable could not find any rhythm and deservedly trailed at the break. The game was turned around in the second half, when Whitstable scored four times in a 15 minute spell to continue their interest in the competition. Tom Walmsley and Ricky Freeman both scored with headers, then Walmsley fired in his second from a good Teddy Nelson cross and Tom Bryant added the fourth when Greenwich failed to clear a corner. Whitstable will play South Central Division team Cheshunt at the Belmont in the next round.

Greenwich had visited the Belmont exactly one month earlier, when Whitstable ran out 2-0 winners in a Bostik League fixture. Whitstable had four different starters in this Velocity Trophy match, with Chris Saunders finally clear of his lengthy suspension. The visitors’ team contained just four members of their squad from the previous game and they only had ten players take the field, despite having the full eleven on their team sheet, so not everyone realised immediately that they were playing without a full team.

Whitstable did win three corners in quick succession in the opening minutes, but it was Greenwich that created the best chances. Theo Osinfolarin had a shot saved by Dan Eason and then Nikolaos Tsakonas cut in from the right and tried a left footed shot that forced Eason into another save. The home defence was looking a bit vulnerable and when another attack was only partly cleared, the ball came out to Brown-Bampoe just outside the box and he struck a great shot past Eason into the right corner of the net to give Greenwich the lead in the 7th minute.

An early corner slips through the hands of Thomas McGill
Battling for possession

Freeman and Walmsley both had efforts off target for Whitstable, Stuart West headed a corner into the arms of Thomas McGill and then Bryant had a header from a Chris Elliott free kick saved. A poor clearance went straight to Elliott, but his shot was easily saved by McGill. It was the ten men of Greenwich that looked the more likely to score again though, as Whitstable gave the ball away too easily on a number of occasions. Jahvan Howell drove forward and shot just over the bar from 25 yards and, as half time approached, Whitstable played themselves into trouble again and Greenwich broke clear down the right, but with a player unmarked in the box, the final pass was mistimed and an offside flag came to the rescue.

Stuart West heads for goal

The interval arrived with the away team 1-0 up, but it could have been worse and it almost was soon after the restart when Greenwich were allowed to break forward with three against one, but they hesitated and as Whitstable started to get bodies back, the shot eventually hit the side netting. The pattern of the game began to change and Whitstable started to pass the ball around with more composure, as Kyran Connolly provided the width on the right and Elliott and Teddy Nelson on the left. Bryant headed a cross down for West, who dragged his shot past the far post and James Morrish, Freeman and Walmsley all shot wide. In the 56th minute though, Whitstable were back on terms when a long sequence of passing ended with Walmsley rising to head a Nelson cross past McGill.

Stuart West shoots past the far post
Tom Walmsley heads the first Whitstable goal

Greenwich were by now offering little, but Osinfolarin turned and shot over from 20 yards. Connolly delivered a dangerous cross that Greenwich managed to scramble away, but then in the 62nd minute, another good cross by Connolly picked out Freeman and he glanced his header into the far corner to give Whitstable the lead. Charlie Smith came on to replace Elliott and immediately headed a corner at McGill. It was 3-1 in the 69th minute, when a deep left wing cross by Nelson was volleyed in by Walmsley and just a minute later Freeman swung in a corner from the left and when the defence failed to clear, Bryant fired the ball into the net to score the fourth. Elliott Hartnell-Baker and Jai McKinlay came on for the last 20 minutes. Greenwich had a couple of late efforts, one went wide and Eason comfortably saved a low shot by Osinfolarin. Whitstable nearly scored a fifth, when McGill did well to save a back post header from a corner and then in added time, McKinlay played the ball into the box and Walmsley tried a diving header, but McGill saved to deny him a hat-trick.

Ricky Freeman puts Whitstable 2-1 in front with a glancing header
Tom Walmsley arrives to score his second
Tom Bryant makes it 4-1 with a left footed shot from close range
Thomas McGill does well to save this header

It had been a much improved second half display by Whitstable, who played with more width going forward and used their man advantage to keep possession more effectively. The Third Round tie against Cheshunt is likely to be the next home game, but firstly Whitstable return to league action with a visit to Sittingbourne on Saturday.

Whitstable Greenwich
19 Attempts 8
10 On Target 4
7 Corners 0
2 Offside 5
9 Free Kicks Won 10

Whitstable Town
Dan Eason, Kyran Connolly, Chris Elliott (Charlie Smith 64), Stuart West, Teddy Nelson, Tom Bryant, Chris Saunders (Jai McKinlay 74), James Morrish (c), Ricky Freeman (Elliott Hartnell-Baker 71), Tom Walmsley, Jordan Wright.
Subs (unused): none
Goals: Tom Walmsley 56, 69, Ricky Freeman 62, Tom Bryant 70.
Yellow card: Ricky Freeman 33

Greenwich Borough
Tom McGill (c), Jahvan Howell, Michael Oshin, Oliver Bennett, Deandre Golding, Nikolaos Tsakonas, Phil Brown-Bampoe, Theo Osinfolarin, Bryan Bentamba, Connor Peters.
Subs (unused): none
Goal: Phil Brown-Bampoe 7
Yellow card: Nikolaos Tsakonas 85

Attendance: 65
Referee: Ian Fissenden
Assistants: Robert Columb & Matt Charles


Date Time League Season
Tue 6 Nov 2018 7:45 pm The Velocity Trophy 2018-2019


The Belmont Ground
58 Grimshill Rd, Whitstable CT5 4LN, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Whitstable Town044
Greenwich Borough101