Velocity Trophy First Round
Tuesday October 9 2018 19.45

Two early goals were enough for in-form Whitstable to win this Velocity Cup tie at Ramsgate. Both teams had a few regular starters missing for various reasons, but Whitstable kept their successful run going thanks to great strikes by Charlie Smith and Elliott Hartnell-Baker. Smith juggled the ball outside the box before volleying into the top corner and then Hartnell-Baker, on his first start, ran on to a through ball before lobbing the goalkeeper and finding the net. Ramsgate won a number of first half corners, but failed to really test Dan Eason and it was Whitstable who came closer to scoring again when Matthew Bone did well to tip a Tom Walmsley header over the bar. The home team improved in the second period, particularly after making three substitutions in the 61st minute. Eason made two good saves and Tom Bryant was on hand to block another opportunity. Whitstable almost scored a third though, when Aiden Enver smacked a great shot against the post and they made it safely through to a home tie against Greenwich Borough.

There were opportunities for several different squad players of both teams for this midweek cup tie, given the absence of a number of regular starters. John Walker and Louis Sprosen were still missing through injury for Whitstable, who were also without Rob Gillman, Stuart West, Chris Elliott, Stephen Smith and the suspended Chris Saunders, whilst James Morrish and Ricky Freeman were substitutes. Bromley loanee Aiden Enver played in midfield and there was a first start for Elliott Hartnell-Baker. Former Whitstable players Luke Watkins and Jake Mackenzie began on the bench for the home team.

Ramsgate did win an early corner, but the game was only in the 7th minute when Whitstable took the lead. A free kick into the box was headed down by Hartnell-Baker and cleared as far as Charlie Smith, who took a couple of touches to juggle the ball past his marker and make space before hitting a great volley into the top corner of the net from around 25 yards, giving the goalkeeper no chance. Jack Penny chipped an effort over the bar and a Kyron Lightfoot cross drifted past the far post, but in the 11th minute Whitstable extended their lead, when Hartnell-Baker ran on to a ball played down the left wing and cleverly lobbed a stranded Bone.

Charlie Smith watches his shot head towards goal
Whitstable have an early lead
Elliott Hartnell-Baker scores the second
Whitstable lead 2-0

Charlie Smith then tried a shot from the halfway line that flew over the bar and Harry Brown struck a free kick towards goal from distance that Bone leapt to catch under the bar. Rory Smith did have a couple of attempts at the other end, one of which called Eason into action, as he got down to save a low shot from a tight angle. A great break down the right by Jordan Wright almost created a chance for Walmsley, but he was crowded out before he could shoot. On 37 minutes, a good cross by Brown picked out Walmsley and his close range header was just tipped over the bar by Bone, who then saved another header from Bryant, but this time an offside flag had already been raised. Ramsgate won two further late corners, but failed to test the Whitstable goalkeeper and after a Wright cross just eluded Walmsley, the half time whistle blew with Whitstable 2-0 ahead.

Matthew Bone stretches to catch a Harry Brown free kick
The Ramsgate keeper tips a Tom Walmsley header over the bar

Rory Smith tried a shot from outside the box that was pushed over the bar by Eason, before Ramsgate made a triple substitution, introducing Mackenzie, Harry Stannard and Tom Chapman. The home team were having a lot of possession, but had few efforts to trouble the strong Whitstable defence. In the 72nd minute, Hartnell-Baker did well to hold up the ball, which was collected by Enver and he hit a powerful shot that beat Bone, but struck the post. Eason was unable to keep gather a low cross at the other end, but Bryant was quickly across to clear the danger.

Aiden Enver on the ball
Aiden Enver’s shot comes back off the post

In the 83rd minute, Freeman replaced Brown, who continues to get stronger after his long injury lay off. Eason then made his best save of the match, when he had to deal with a good shot that dipped and bounced just in front of him, but the ball was cleared safely and Whitstable saw out the remaining minutes without too much alarm.

Dan Eason makes a good save
Jake Mackenzie challenges Jordan Wright

So it is Whitstable who go forward to entertain Greenwich Borough in the next round and gain some revenge for the 4-1 league defeat here a few weeks earlier, although both teams looked a bit different that day. There were some good performance from players that have had limited opportunities so far, which should provide more options for the games ahead.

Ramsgate Whitstable
10 Attempts 7
5 On Target 4
8 Corners 2
2 Offside 2
11 Free Kicks Won 11

Matthew Bone, Damon Todd, Jack Penny, Jacob Mensah, George Crimmen (c), Billy Munday, Sam Lawford (Jake Mackenzie 61), Charlie Dickens (Tom Chapman 61), Jake Munday, Rory Smith, Kyron Lightfoot (Harry Stannard 61).
Sub (unused): Luke Watkins
Yellow card: George Crimmen 36

Whitstable Town
Dan Eason, Kyran Connolly, Harry Brown (Ricky Freeman 83), Teddy Nelson, Jai McKinlay, Tom Bryant (c), Aiden Enver, Jordan Wright, Tom Walmsley, Elliott Hartnell-Baker, Charlie Smith.
Subs (unused): Rhys Brain, James Morrish.
Goals: Charlie Smith 7, Elliott Hartnell-Baker 11.
Yellow cards: Jordan Wright 57, Kyran Connolly 67, Teddy Nelson 88.

Attendance: 135
Referee: Kirsty Dowle
Assistants: Simon Cutler & Joe McKay


Date Time League Season
Tue 9 Oct 2018 7:45 pm The Velocity Trophy 2018-2019


Southwood Stadium
8 Price\'s Ave, Ramsgate CT11, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Whitstable Town202