SCEFL Premier Division
Saturday December 9 2017 15.00

Whitstable hit five goals on a frosty afternoon at Corinthian to climb to fifth and overtake their opponents in the table. It was the second 5-0 win against Corinthian this season, having previously knocked them out of the Kent Senior Trophy at the Belmont in September and once again it was a Danny Williams hat trick that set them on their way. The opening goal came midway through the first half when a defender ducked late under a curling Williams shot, fooling his own goalkeeper, Aiden Prall. The home side made things difficult for themselves in a bad tempered display and Prall conceded a penalty and was shown a red card just before the break when an assistant saw him foul Williams, who got up to score from the spot. Any chance of a recovery was ruined when Jamie Billings got himself sent off for an altercation with the officials as the teams came out for the second half. The nine remaining players tried hard, but Williams completed his hat trick and late goals from Charlie Smith and Owen Fitt, on his debut, completed the scoring.

Josh Burchell and Ricky Freeman were serving one game bans and with John Walker also unavailable, there was an opportunity for academy player Teddy Nelson to make his first competitive start. Two other academy players, Rhys Brain and Fitt, both started on the bench. Stuart West, who scored two late goals in the previous game, started up front alongside Williams. Corinthian, who began the day in third place in the table, included former Whitstable players Cameron Heffernan, Sam Groombridge and Sam Bewick in their team.

Whitstable started well, having more of the early possession and West headed a Louis Sprosen cross past Prall on 9 minutes, but the effort was disallowed for offside. Both number fours, Rob Gillman and Jamie Billings, went into the book for fouls as the game went through a quiet period. In the 23rd minute however, Williams tried a left footed shot from outside the box and Prall was not helped by Chris McDemott appearing to duck under the ball at the last moment and although he managed to get a hand to the ball, he was unable to prevent it going into the left hand corner of the net.

Testing the pitch?
Teddy Nelson watches the strike from Danny Williams beat Aiden Prall

Louis Clarke made a good long run before being stopped on the edge of the penalty area and the referee who had played the advantage went back to show a yellow card to Nelson for an earlier challenge. Sprosen and West both had attempts for Whitstable before Bewick fired a good shot just past the far post from the left edge of the box for Corinthian. Then came one of the key moments of the game when Williams was flattened by the goalkeeper as he challenged for the ball in the penalty area and with a number of players getting involved, the assistant called the referee over. After a discussion between the officials, a penalty was awarded and Prall was sent off, despite some vocal protests from the home side. Substitute goalkeeper Joe Hagan came on for the sacrificed Heffernan and Williams calmly found the bottom right hand corner with his penalty kick.

Prall jumps into Williams
Heated discussions
A red card is coming out
Williams scores from the penalty spot

Hagan was soon called upon to make a fine save, tipping a West header over for a corner after Nelson had headed a Sprosen cross back across the goal. Sprosen then clipped the top of the bar with a shot from distance and Whitstable went into the break with a 2-0 lead.

Stuart West goes close

There was a farcical start to the second half with home players surrounding the referee as they came out onto the pitch and Jamie Billings went too far and was shown a second yellow card, leaving just nine players to try to find a way back into the match. Whitstable unsurprisingly now had a period when they kept possession, but there were few clear chances with West heading wide and a low Bewick shot being easily saved by Dan Eason at the other end. Jordan Campbell came on for Corinthian to replace Clarke and then Hagan made a good stop when Williams got his head to a Sprosen cross. West was having a good game up front and he headed a Macauley Murray free kick against the bar, before Smith replaced Nelson for Whitstable after 62 minutes. The home team created a few half chances, won a couple of corners and one cross went dangerously across the Whitstable box with no one able to get a touch. The contest was effectively settled when Williams completed his third hat trick of the season on 66 minutes when he volleyed in a Sprosen cross from around the penalty spot.

Williams about to complete his hat trick
Whitstable lead 3-0

Eason had to be alert to tip a cross over the bar and from the corner that followed, the ball came out to Oscar Housego who shot wide. A Whitstable corner, taken by Murray, was headed towards goal and saved by Hagan. A run by Smith was stopped by Alexander Jack Billings, who was booked, and Smith almost got in on goal from the free kick. Corinthian replaced their captain Jack Bath with Bradley Large on 73 minutes. A Williams cross was helped on by Smith to West who volleyed over and Smith had a shot saved by Hagan. Brain then came on for Williams and made a few good runs at the tiring home defence. The referee then appeared to order off one member of the home bench, following more complaints and Whitstable made their final change with Fitt replacing Morrish. Fitt made an early appearance in the referee’s notebook for pulling back an opponent in midfield. Smith headed over the bar and Brain had a shot saved by Hagan after playing a one-two with Tom Bryant.

Rhys Brain tries to break away

Right on 90 minutes, a cross from the left reached Smith at the far post and he had time to bring the ball under control and shoot into the far corner to make it 4-0. Brain almost got on the score sheet, hitting the side netting, but in stoppage time a cross field ball came to Fitt and he hit it a great left footed shot past Hagan into the net to make it five.

Charlie Smith adds the fourth
Contrasting emotions
Owen Fitt about to score on his debut

It was nice to see three young players from the academy being able to come in and contribute to a good away win, with several experienced players unavailable. Corinthian are one of the better sides in the division when they concentrate on playing football, but certainly made it harder for themselves in this game with their attitude and lack of discipline. It was good though to see a former Oyster favourite Sam Bewick come over to greet the Whitstable supporters at the end of the game. With the midweek game falling victim to the weather, Whitstable are next in action on Saturday, at home to Cray Valley PM.

Some match photos will hopefully be added later, as the usual photographer was away…

Corinthian Whitstable
7 Attempts 24
3 On Target 11
6 Corners 4
4 Offside 2
13 Free Kicks Won 10

Aiden Prall, Cameron Heffernan (Joe Hagan 42), Alexander Jack Billings, Jamie Billings, Chris McDermott, Sam Groombridge, Louis Clarke (Jordan Campbell 57), Jack Bath (c) (Bradley Large 73), Luke Tanner, Oscar Housego, Sam Bewick.
Sub (unused): Aaron Guard
Yellow card: Alexander Jack Billings 71
Red cards: Aiden Prall 40, Jamie Billings (two yellows 20, 46).

Whitstable Town
Dan Eason, Louis Sprosen, Teddy Nelson (Charlie Smith 62), Rob Gillman, Craig Cloke (c), Tom Bryant, Chris Saunders, James Morrish (Owen Fitt 82), Danny Williams (Rhys Brain 79), Stuart West, Macauley Murray.
Subs (unused): Brendon Cass, Dean Ruddy.
Goals: Danny Williams 23, (pen) 43, 66, Charlie Smith 90, Owen Fitt 90+3.
Yellow cards: Rob Gillman 13, Teddy Nelson 26, Owen Fitt 85.

Attendance: 52
Referee: Arshia Hashemi
Assistants: Matthew Sell & Ryan Andrew


Date Time League Season
Sat 9 Dec 2017 3:00 pm SCEFL1718 2017-2018


Corinthian Sports Club
1676 Valley Rd, Longfield DA3 8LX, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Whitstable Town235